Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

205 electic speedo

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by sweetk30, Nov 1, 2004.

1. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

I AM LOOKING FOR DETAILED INFO ON THE 205 ELECTRIC SPEEDO THAT WAS DONE IN THE ORD 203/205 SWAP IN YOUR PRODUCT REVIEW. I AM WORKING WITH A 95 4L80E WITH 205 ATACHED IN A 77 K30 BUILD UP ANY INFO WOULD BE GREAT!!!!!!

2. jac6695

jac6695 1/2 ton status

First, welcome to CK5! Second, turn off your caps lock. Makes for hard reading.

All you need is a speed sensor from 90-91 Blazer or Sub (there are more applications including S-10's), and the reluctor ring (this the ring in the transfer case that the triggers the magnetic sensor). The reluctor ring is the exact same size and spline as the plastic gear on the output shafts of later model 205's that drives the speedometer gear. The sensors run $105-120.00 from the dealer and the reluctor rings are about $40.00. The sensors should have the same connector as the harness for your 4L80E.

Bad part about this is that you cannot run a stock speedometer. You could upgrade to a 90-91 cluster, but I think you would need an ECM with a speedometer output (could be wrong). For other speed sensor options (including locating it into the tail of the transmission), check out Jagsthatrun, and search the speed sensor section. It is long, but a lot of good information there. Good luck! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

sorry for the caps locked on . the info was vavy usefull , i am running auto metter full guage's in this truck with electric speedo. when i get done with the truck i will post a pick on with my screen name section .

great web club!!!!!!! /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

4. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Yes, trucks use a "DRAC" module that interprets/splits the VSS input from the transfercase, while car applications didn't, apparently that interpretation/splitting was handled through the ECM.

I have been looking at this for some time myself...205 w/VSS conversion, going to use the 90-91 speedo cluster. Could set it up to use the DRAC, but it looks like a conversion to a car ECM might be easier/cleaner/more rewarding than trying to wire up the DRAC, at least for me.