Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

205 fixed yoke conversion???

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by grtwhite, Jul 8, 2004.

1. grtwhite

grtwhite 1/2 ton status

Found a 205 with a slip yoke. What is needed to convert to a rear fixed yoke? Can parts be swaped over from any 205 with a fixed yoke? Thanks for your help! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

2. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

Here is a kit from off road design: clicky
    Thats what I will be buying when I get my transfercase. I am pretty sure you can swap parts from a already fixed yoke, to a slip yoke 205. If you get this done soon, post up some pics of how you did it, so it will be easier for me when I do it late fall /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. POWERMAD

POWERMAD 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Can parts be swaped over from any 205 with a fixed yoke?

[/ QUOTE ]
    No if using a Ford unit as a parts case the rear bearing housing is not the same as a GM unit.
    But the housing that is on the slip yoke will work with the fixed.
    Make sence?
    Easy swap to do, I don't recall any sort of special tool needed for the job.
    Some grease and a small set of needle nose come in handy though.
    Basicly both GM units.
    Remove the rear output housing bolts.
    Remove housing taking care to catch the bearings.
    Clean mating surfaces and install new gasget.(high tac)
    Smear bearing grease in bearing pocket and install needle bearings(needle nose pliers)
    Install housing gear assy and install bolts.
    There is no need to disassemble the rear bearing housing to swap GM units, Dodge 205's are clocked the same as GM so those work as well for a direct bolt in.

4. grtwhite

grtwhite 1/2 ton status

Powermad,
    Thanks for the info, just what I was looking for. After rereading my post, and your reply I should have stated any GM 205. Thanks Again /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif !!

5. bablazer73

bablazer73 1/2 ton status

I got all the parts to convert mine from another member here. He had a "spare" unit. It's super easy to do. There are alot of pics and stories in the tech section here. Run an add in the wanted section. Or look for "doctor4x4" he had some extra cases.