Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

205 front o/p ?? Need a quick answer...:) Different question added:

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Thumper, Mar 14, 2003.

1. Thumper

Thumper 1/2 ton status

Where can I look to to find a 10 spline flange style output to the front from a 205? What donors should I look for?
    Or is there a good np205 reference site that could tell me?
    Thanks
    Mike

Are all np205 front o/p shafts the same besides the splines at the forward end? Can I take a o/p shaft from my 32 spline flange style 205 and swap it into the front of the 10 spline yoke style easily?

Thanks again
    Mike

2. Thumper

Thumper 1/2 ton status

No-one??

3. Subur78

Subur78 Registered Member

Not an expert but from what I've read you can swap the entire 10spline shaft for the 30spline. Of course you would need to disassemble quite a bit. The early np205's had the 10 spline o/p shaft (late 60's early 70's)...
    Hope this helped...
    Here we go... check this.. np205 tech stuff w/ shaft info
    Front output shafts:
    GM used two front output shaft configurations, one had a spline count of 10, the other was a 30 spline. 10 splines came before 1977 (roughly) 30 spline shafts came after 1977 (again, roughly). One quick way to tell them apart is by the fact that 10 splines came with a 1310 series yoke output, capable of accepting a CV or yoke driveshaft. 30 spline shafts came with the flat flange on the output, capable of accepting the 1330 series CV joint.

Strength:
    Strength wise, the 30 spline is the way to go. The 10 spline shafts have been known to break, usually in abusive applications (big blocks, 40"+ tires, etc). 30 spline shafts seem to hold up well, especially since there isn't anything in a front axle that can take the torque required to break the finer spline t-case shaft. Also, the 1330 CV joint should be a little stronger unit overall due to the wider crosses. Practically speaking, it's nice to have the fine spline, but if you're running a 1/2 or 3/4 ton front axle, the front will break long before the NP205 10 spline output. At that point, it comes down to ease of service, yoke choice, and other such factors.

=========================================
    Subur78 /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif My Site
    Quotes: mine: "What do you mean this is a jeep only trail..I fit..(SCREEEECH)"
    And best one heard: (jeep guys) "We've never seen a full size truck, let alone a Suburban, up this far before".

4. Leadfoot

Leadfoot 1/2 ton status Premium Member

5. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

I have found that the front outputs on the 85 & newer 205's are slightly different. The tail end of the shafts (that sits in the bearing on the rear cover) have different diameters based on early and late. The quick identifier for the shaft with the smaller tail is the rear cover plate will have an oiling vein you can see externally that feeds the bearing.

The shift fork set up between designs is also different. I don't know if the can be interchanged as I have not tried it yet. At the very least the shaft and cover would need to match (of course).

6. Batmanjr

Batmanjr 1/2 ton status

I'm going to add to what everyone above has already said! Yes they are interchangable, I've done it! There are two different types of 205, the pre 85 and the post 85! The post 85 has a slide shifter while the pre 85 has a collar shifter! The way you answer your problem with the yoke is this....
    When I put the 205 on my wife's blazer and mated it to the 700r4, it had a 10 spline output in the front! Yoke style! Know ing that I was going to need new driveshafts, I wanted to go with the flange style so I could go with a 1350 setup, so at first I went over to my 88 205, flange style, but when I took it apart, it had the slide shifter and I was going to have to change the shift forks if I wanted to use it.... Too much trouble, wait till I go twin stick... So I went to the local junkyard and bought an early model Ford 205 with the left hand drop! It had a 32 spline yoke(not flange on it!) I simply took the rear cover off the 205 that was still in my wife's truck and took the front output out! EASY! Then I did the same with the ford one, Easy! To put it in,(the easy way) you have to take the front aluminum collar off the 205 that's in the truck! simply smash your fingers and use a long screwdriver to hold the shift collar in place while you slide the 32 spline front output into your tc(much easier if done on workbench, but not too hard while in the truck), Once I buttoned up the back and put the aluminum cover on the front, to get a front flange, simply find yourself ANY 208 and remove the front flange.... TAKE THE DUST COVER OFF the flange and slide it onto your 32 spline front output! All in all, it took me about 1.5 hrs of work and one trip to the Junkyard! SAve the ford tc for if and when you need a short 31 spline input gear for a doubler...... Saves you $100 on a 32 spline Flange, and $200 on a short input gear!

AS for your original question about the 10 spline flange, the only answer I got when looking for one was:
    "why in the He!! would use a 10 spline when It's so easy to go 32!","Also, you can get a flange for 10 spline but they cost about $100 and that's way too much! PM me if you have any questions! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

i swapped a furd 32 spline front output shaft into my np205. I had a tech article from the www and a article in an issue of fourwheeler that helpd a lot. I had never opened up a t-case in my life b4 the swap, but i managed to pull it off thanks to good sources. Anyway, I'll look around and see if I cant find a www link for ya...

j

8. Thumper

Thumper 1/2 ton status

Thanks guys! But no need. I dove right in with both feet. It works, the o/p shafts are the same between my 10 spline pre 75 205 and my ?30? spline post 75 pre 85 205. It wasnt a tough swap although it produced a few choice words trying to get the shaft in place with the collar ring, front gear all not wanting to work together at all and also laying on a chunk of cardboard in the snow in -5C temps. But finally things slipped into place and she works! I now have a 30? spline flange o/p. So I just got my old driveshaft shortened 2" tonite, will bolt it in tomorrow and wheeling Sunday! /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif
    I am sooo impressed, sometimes I even amaze myself! LMAO

Laters and thanks for the help.
    Mike