Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

205 idler gear shims

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by BIGJ, Aug 13, 2003.

1. BIGJ

BIGJ 1/2 ton status Author

Anyone know where I can buy just the shims? Every place I have called will only sell the small parts kit, which has the shims, and everything else, which I don't need. I really don't want to spend $80 for a small parts kit just to get some new shims.

BIGJ

2. cegusman

cegusman 3/4 ton status

Have you tried the dealer?

3. BIGJ

Yep. Some of the shims are discontinued, and the rest will take two weeks to get here. They are my last option if no one else has them.

BIGJ

4. cegusman

cegusman 3/4 ton status

That is the only place I can think of. Try calling other dealers (ford, dodge) they used the np205. They might have them in stock.

5. 8_YOUR_H2

8_YOUR_H2 1/2 ton status

I called drivetrain direct and they found a guy in california who had some extras laying around. They shipped them to me for $25 or so. I ended up getting like 20 of them them all different sizes, they were greasy and gritty but they did the job after a nice clean up.

Ill check my garage tonight I think I have some left over....

6. Mudzer

Mudzer 1/2 ton status Author

Jeff,

I have almost forgotten to get that Detent Ball, spring and nut for you. If you order one when you buy this shim kit, I'll mail you a check to pay for it. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

One option you may consider if you have the tools is that you can mess with the length of the tube spacer between the bearings in addition to playing with the shim pack. We have a decent selection of shims on the builder's bench but have played with the sleeve in the lathe before.
    I'm working on a consistent source for the shims but haven't found one yet.

You might be able to find the right size shims from a pinion kit. A good R&P shop should have tons of selection for you to look at.

8. BIGJ

8 Your H2: If you have any left over, I'd be glad to pay for them. Send me a PM.

Everyone else, thanks for the info. I'm working with the local and only redneck ring and pinion guy to find these. They are really close to the ferd 9" shim apparently. He's really slow, so I may not save any time vs. the dealer anyway. /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

BIGJ

9. Waxer

Waxer 1/2 ton status Author

How many do you need? I have some extra's laying around from my parts 205 and rebuild I did on my own 205.

As for price, considering how the demand is greater than the supply, hmmm /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

10. BIGJ

Two or three total, all different thicknesses would be helpful. Heck, I'll take all of them if you don't want 'em. I'd really like to have them for this weekend too /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Sooooooo, if you wanted to throw them in a fedex package, I'd be glad to pay for shipping and your troubles /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif. Send me a PM if you can do it.

BIGJ

11. spoolnaround

spoolnaround 1/2 ton status

4X4heaven.com 800 800-1679 I ordered some from these guys last year. They cost me like $12 to the door for a variety of the shims. These guys are in NY you can find their ad in the back of Four Wheeler and a couple of other mags.