Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

205 or 208 doubled

Discussion in 'OffRoad Design' started by **DONOTDELETE**, Jan 23, 2001.

What is the difference in length between the 2? I was kind of thinking in terms of quieter and a little lower than 2:1. As long as I get a fixed yoke end on the 208.

1. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

If you hurry, we might have a Gen1 kit to work with the 208. The Gen2 Doubler will only work with the 205 at this point. We do have the capabiility of building it to go to a round pattern case, so a 208 may be a possibility, but we haven't messed with it yet. Maybe concurrent with the Atlas project?....

Length wise, the Doubler will add about 9" in front of your 208, but you'll take out the factory adapter housing, so the net may be around 5" or so extra. Strength would be your call. I know guys that wheel a 208 and make it work, but they're pretty smooth drivers too. And on 35's. It would be nice to have the 2.7 low option and a bit deeper overall crawl ratio, but the 4:1 seems to work pretty well.

Basically, if you want to try it, we can build it. One key, you will have to have a 32 spline 208. And if it doesn't hold up for you your only beefier option is to go to a GM round pattern 205 which is pretty rare. Or use a Ford 205, or an atlas. It would be a good test of how good a 208 can be. The aluminum cases seldom get a chance to shine since most guys get rid of them before they use them hard.

Making the world better, one truck at a time.
    [​IMG]
    SW-ORD

2. That's just it...I don't have a 208. It's a long story, but I basically wanted to know which was longer as a doubler. And i'm not likely to use a 208 now that it's a strange critter to double. 205's are easier & cheaper to get. But I don't think a Vortec 4.3 will break a 208... I won't take the chance.