Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

205 parts needed

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by goldwing2000, Jan 10, 2006.

1. goldwing2000

goldwing2000 Guest

What's the best place to get 205 parts? I know the front output bearing is toast (took the seal with it, of course) but I'm sure I'll need other stuff once I tear it down.

Is there a "one-stop shopping" place for all things NP205?

Oh, it's a slip-yoke case behind a TH350. I have a spare slip-yoke case off a SM465 that I can scavenge hard parts from.

Before anybody says it, I don't want to convert to a fixed yoke just yet because I have enough big-$$$ projects planned for now.

2. 8_YOUR_H2

8_YOUR_H2 1/2 ton status

Bearings and seals are pretty common. You can usually get them at the parts store with no problems, figuring the guy behind the counter knows a transfercase from a turdpile. Also the dealership can still get some hard parts like shifter bolts, idler bearing shims etc...

The other hard parts can be a little tougher to find but ebay is a good place to look. Or you can call northwest fab, ORD, drivetrain direct etc...I have a spare 205 laying around that is half parted out if you need anything let me know.

3. goldwing2000

goldwing2000 Guest

Outstanding. Thanks!

If anybody is interested, I found a great web site a long time ago that details the rebuild process:
    http://okcnetworks.com/bronco/205/np1.htm

I'm sure it's been posted here before but no such thing as too much information when it comes to mechanicals.

Oh, hey... speaking of information, is there any way to tell what year a t-case was built? Mine's definitely not original 1989 and knowing the year might help the parts monkeys look up the right stuff.

4. 8_YOUR_H2

8_YOUR_H2 1/2 ton status

The np205 will usually have a blue plate between the shift rails with the date it was manufactured, gear ratio, and the S/N. The last case I worked on, however, did not have this tag on it.

I believe the slip yoke version of the 205 was not available until after 1979 or 1980 maybe? So it is most likely later model. The really old ones (pre 1972 and earlier) had two shift rails that were the same length. The 1973 and later had the passenger side shift rail that was longer than the driver side.

5. goldwing2000

goldwing2000 Guest

Good info. Thanks!