Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

205 parts sources/seal tech

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by dyeager535, Sep 18, 2004.

1. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Anyone have some ideas on where to get the 32 spline input bearing and a speedi-sleeve for the input shaft for a reasonable price? (I guess I better clarify...someplace that sells the bearing cheaper, but good quality)

GMPD is asking $48 for the input bearing, while Napa wants $90. The speedi-sleeve is $33 from Napa. Ouch.

Haven't torn this thing down yet, so not sure how the seal area looks, but I have the new to me input. Is there any possibility of just positioning the seal when replacing it so that it doesn't ride on the groove that has formed?

It doesn't make sense to me to install a new seal right where the groove is, but has anyone had any luck doing just that? It's not deep, but I can definitely tell with my fingernail that it's there.

To add more part numbers for the 205, (and this is the 32 spline input variant) the input shaft seal is GM #14095609 ($5.55 at this time) and the bearing is 9422715.

2. FWP

FWP CRS

Sure, you can reposition the seal, that's easy, there's room. As for the bearing try Kaman, Applied industrial, or any industrial bearing supply. You'll need the generic number, not the GM number. I have the info around somewhere if you need me to look for it.

3. dyeager535

Is it going to be something like "SP340"?

There is another post mentioning a number like the above, I did a web search and didn't come up with anything.

If the number format above looks correct, I'll get the real number and call around. If it looks wrong, I would appreciate the "generic" number, as long as you think it will be cheap enough to be worthwhile, compared to GM's $45.

Any bearing makers to stay away from, or look for? Timken's about the only one I can think of.

4. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

A National or CR seal number is what you're looking for and will net the best results. Typically they're the same as a Timken number but not always, and these two companies make damn near every seal/speedy sleeve that exists.

Good luck beating the price on the speedy sleeve. Those little buggers are ALWAYS expensive.

5. FWP

FWP CRS

6210 is the number for the large input bearing (TH400 version 205, 32 spline female short input). 6010 is the number if you want to use a smaller OD bearing (the other 205 cases, SM465, Th350) on the big TH400 version input shaft.

AFAIK, Timken only makes tapered roller bearings, So you might find it to be SKF, NTN, - Both excellent bearing manufacturers. Hope that helps you out!

BTW, what's all this about? What's up your sleeve /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

6. dyeager535

Nothing special unfortunately, boring stuff for most.

Just have to replace the bent input shaft in the case I have, figured if the input was bent, bearing might as well be replaced. I dunno, I'm kind of torn on doing it, the shaft still spins effortlessly, and for the cost of the bearing...but then again, I'd hate to assemble the whole thing and find out later that it WAS bad.

7. FWP

FWP CRS

Bent??? /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif That's a hella stout item to be bending. I'd be suprised if the case isn't cracked, or other internal damage. Just to double check- you are talking about a TH400 version 205 with the 32 spline female input shaft, right???

8. dyeager535

Yep. Truck was a '91 V3500, must have been jumped, before it went into the river.

Broke the 4L80E output shaft, broke the adapter completely in half, and bent the input of the t-case.

Looked the case over pretty good, don't see any damage to it. Course, I guess once I clean up the outside real well I might find differently.

For archive use, I just measured the difference between the figure 8 465-205 adapter and the round 465-205 adapter.

The figure 8 adapter is just a hair under 7", the round adapter is 10".

Going to be intesting to see if the driveshaft from the 4L80E will work without mods. Pretty hard to measure accurately with the 10 spline shaft still on the truck, but looks like the driveshaft for the 465/205 10 spline/10 bolt unit is 2" shorter than the 4L80E/Dana 60 shaft.