Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

205 popping out of 4LO

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by wfo163, Jan 11, 2003.

1. wfo163

wfo163 1/2 ton status

My np 205 is in a 83 k30. It works fine in 4HI and 2Hi but when its in 4LO it will pop back into neutral when I put some touque to it from my mildy modified 454. What might be causing this?

2. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

worn shift linkage 99% of the time
    problem is it may have created a wear pattern f it has been doing it for long.
    address the linkage and if it persists go deeper.

which pops out? front or rear?
    they are 2 seperate shift rails

3. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

my 205 shifted out of 4hi while climbing a snow bank at the local grocery store 2 days ago. Front end of the truck jumped pretty good and I was at about a 45 degree angle already. Popping out of gear is a bad thing. I think mine just torqued a little from the angles and jumping around.

4. BAD4WD

BAD4WD Registered Member

Try replacing or putting in some stiffer poppet springs.
    You should have 2 bolts on top of your 205, under the bolts are a spring (poppet)& a little ball or bearing which rides on your shift rails.
    The ball falls into grooves in your rails to lock the rails in place.
    Laters, /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

5. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Sorry, slightly off topic, but does your K30 have a 4wd indicator light?

6. wfo163

wfo163 1/2 ton status

it does have a an indicator which works fine in the 4 hi position. I dont know if it ever functioned for 4 lo. I bought this truck from a dentist that said he had never needed 4 lo so I dont think he knows if it works either.

7. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

I had this problem as it was just a loose transfer case mount. Snuged it all up and that was that.

8. roostr3269

roostr3269 1/2 ton status

u dont have a body lift, do ya? I had to do some trimming, wasnt engaging all the way.

9. Leadfoot

Leadfoot 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Check your motor mounts and t-case mounts. Also shift it into 4-lo and crawl underneath your truck (truck off and in park). Look at how much room you have around the shifter hole in the floor. Mine used to pop out of 4-lo when pulling because the old mounts flexed to the point where the shifter hit the tranny hump floor pan and knocked it out.

New mounts took care of that.

It could be other things, but it is worth checking.

10. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

I had the same problem basically with worn mounts, under load the shifter would hit the edge and pop out, I tightened the setup with new mounts and all was well. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

11. wfo163

wfo163 1/2 ton status

Okay so here is what I found and hopefully it will help anyone else that reads this. During the previous life of this truck 4lo was very rarely used. The shift rail was very very gummed up with a fine mixture of colorado's best and ATF that was preventing the rail from moving far enough into the case to fully engage 4lo. After it was adaquetly cleaned off I found that the poppet ball had a weak spring and didnt like to hold it in gear even when finally it was fully engaging. Now the problem is that the number of times the gears have "popped" out the gears are starting to wear and can sometimes stay engaged for the whole trip or pop out after only a few feet. It works for now but I think Im going to grab an odd ball 205 to use for parts when I rebuild this one. Also big thank you to all you guys who tried to help me. I do need new poly motor and tranny mounts to replace those rubber units in there now! /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif