Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

205 questions

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 69K5, Mar 12, 2004.

1. 69K5

69K5 1/2 ton status

Im making a brake for my transfercase, because cadillac stuff cost tooo much. so i have a few questions. I kept looking at jesse's (highangle) and jp but im poor. it took about five minutes to find those calipers for sale on the net. I was concerned about them holding on a steep incline. I went to the upull it and found 17 diffrent models of cars that had rear disc and ebrakes. I made a list but forgot it at home. I think I have about decided on the maxima, because its small and compact. I plan on taking out the rear yolk and modifying the rotor to bolt up with lunger ujoint straps. and then fabbing the bracket. as long as its balanced i dont see a prob.

1. do brake calipers rely om brake fluid for lubrication. specifically if i plug the line will it still work or just dry up and cease? iirc grease messes up calipers for some reason so i cant just grease em.

2. What is the largest size rotor I can run wothout having a body lift? I figure 6" the xfer is out right now and i didnt want to rehang it for this measurement.

3. Can someone with a dial caliper measure the mounting holes for the ujoint straps. I just eyeballed it but before I go massacare a new rotor I wann make sure its right.

Im gonna try to get this done before I shipout again next month so we'll see. Ill put pics up once im out of the drawing up stage.

just fyi I am just trying to do this for my truck and not to recreate anyone off the shelf idea.

thanks

69K5

2. 69K5

69K5 1/2 ton status

ttt