Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

205 rail grinding

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by jackedjimmy, May 27, 2002.

1. jackedjimmy

jackedjimmy 1/2 ton status

May 18, 2002
    I want to make sure I am doing this righ before I start hacking on my new t-case.
    I have gotten conflicting info on the gringing of the shift rails to convert to a twinstick 205.

Do yo grind on both rails?

Which side.........the side with the three notches(remove the notches) or is it the other side?

I think it's the other side but i want to be positive first.

By the way.....If anyone is looking or great deals on rebuilt 205's and different trannys......contact western transmission out of Portland OR

I bought my 205 and a B&M th350 through them with a 3year warranty for $850
  2. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

Feb 24, 2001
    I posted a link to the Peterson's article on your other thread. Was it not specific enough? It tells you exactly which rod and shows you before and after pics so you should know where to grind...
  3. arq

arq 1/2 ton status

Jan 17, 2001
    since you're gonna do it. i'd suggest playing around a bit with the shift rails. remove both bolts that hold the spring and ball for the shift rails. they are the ones on top of the Xcase, i think it's an 3/4 socket.

once you have these removed look into the positioning groves on the shift rails. move the rails back and forth to see what possible combinations you can have. once you start getting an idea of how it works. remove only the shift rail closest to the input shaft.

once removed you can start plaing around a bit more. grind the shift rail a bit, where recomended. place it back into the Xcase and play around with the combinations, taking a look at the positioning groves on the shift rail. move both back and forth and you'll start to get an idea of how much you got left.

in other words just do it and play around with it...