Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

205 rebuild

Discussion in 'OffRoad Design' started by Eric M., Mar 7, 2003.

1. Eric M.

Eric M. 1/2 ton status

I thought I'd ask here since Stephen probably knows more about 205s than most. Is there any tell-tale signs that a 205 needs rebuilding? I picked up an 89 GMC 1 ton dually (old body style) w/ 112K miles. The Turbo 400 was rebuilt by the previous owner and I will be doing the motor as leakdown tests and fowling plugs tell me it's about time. How do I know if the tranfer case needs work? It was never wheeled hard.

Also, if you tell me I should go through it, how difficult is it? I've talked to transmission shops that won't touch 205s due to all the needle berings. Is this something I should tackle myself or leave to the pros? I've never been inside a transmission or transfer case before but I feel confident doing just about any other automotive work.

Thanks in advance.

Eric M.

2. 82TOYLB

82TOYLB Registered Member

It really is not that hard to rebuild a 205, I just finished rebuilding mine and put a new input and front output shaft in it at the same time. Both Steve and a local old time wheeler said "why" when I said I wanted to rebuild mine. They said unless I had heard the bearings and they were bad, or knew that water had gotten it it and stayed there, it was very safe to assume it was fine. If you want to be safe you can do like me and just replace the input and rear output bearing so that at least highway is quiet no matter what. NP 205's just don't wear out quickly if they are clean and dry.

3. Eric M.

Eric M. 1/2 ton status

Sounds good.

So unless I hear bering noises, I can assume it's in good shape.

Thanks,

Eric M.

4. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

205's are really durable, so it's typically safe to assume they're good. Doing an inspection doesn't hurt, you can look at the rear output shaft and have a pretty good idea of the case's condition. Keep in mind there is a difference between a daily driver/work truck and a trailered trail rig that sees 1000 miles a year. You can get by with a bit more in a trail rig where if I had any doubt about the case in a daily driver, I'd look at rebuilding it. And if you're paying for the time to take it apart, you might as well put in a rebuild since the labor will cost more to check it than it's worth to put it back together with old parts. lots of factors to look at here, like most things.