Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

205 right side brace

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by original balzer, Jan 31, 2005.

1. original balzer

original balzer 1/2 ton status

with the 205 transfercase, there a bracket that goes on the right side that bolts to the frame rail to control movment, it's not there on 77 and later trucks, but i would like to see one if anyone has pics i do from time to time get a thump from the x-case hitting the floor in the back ( i know i know replace your worn out body bushings right) so i would like to make or instal this brace

2. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

me too... i dont have anything connected to my 205 there rither...

j

3. rubbinz raczn

rubbinz raczn 1/2 ton status

you mean this?

spring swap2.jpg

4. AkMudr

AkMudr 1/2 ton status

Hey I own that now :D:D

5. Beast388

Beast388 1/2 ton status

Here are two pics of my factory bracket:

102-0233_IMG.JPG

NP205 Side Mount.JPG

6. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

THANKS BEAST388 thats the kind of pics i like to see . now i have a much better idea how to make my own setup

7. Beast388

Beast388 1/2 ton status

Anytime!:waytogo: :saweet: :thumb:

8. Desert Rat

Desert Rat Fetch the comfy chair

Here is another one:

[​IMG]

9. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

wow cool, have to make one of them. I got some spare leaf spring bushings laying around, I'll prolly just set one up with that. Thanks for the pics. Does not having that brace tend to lead to anything bad? I have never had it on my K5, but I havent beat on my rig toooo much since I installed the 205. Then again.. I have had a problem during high torque output on my rig... it sounded like the 205 was slipping out of 4 low, sort of a loud grind gears-not-meshing sound. Really nasty. Anyway, maybe the real problem was the case was tweakin' cause it didn't have the extra support it needs....

j

10. AkMudr

AkMudr 1/2 ton status

Its hard to say what can happen without the side bracket. Ive seen busted/cracked adapters...theres alot of factors involved, torque, hi/lo range, terrain, flex and more. But, one reason I decided to use the side bracket was because the tcase itself is 134lbs, and none of that weight is directly supported..yeh...yuo have the crossmember, BUT, the crossmember does not bolt directly to it. IMHO there needs to be some kind of vertical support ..that much weight bouncing around does nothin good in my book.

One thing to consider is that by using the bracket, you do limit the cases ability to freely rotate however many degrees under a load of torque. With that said, it is best to use the same material bushings all around to give each drivetrain component the same amount of "give"

My .02.

11. OrangeCrushK10

OrangeCrushK10 1/2 ton status

WAIT! My 205 has this big rod that bolts onto it's side and goes up to the engine and connects to it?! Well, my wife's does anyways, mine doesn't have anything there.

I like that bracket idea. Where can I get one? I've always felt a little nervous about my 205 not having a brace there.

12. AkMudr

AkMudr 1/2 ton status

Chevy used the side bracket in the early 70's then later went to the rod brace, then later used nothing. I guess its just a personal preference...mroe of a "What you think is best for yer rig" type of thing. I personally dont wanna **** up $1000 in new drivetrain over some bracket I coulda used in the first place.

You'll hafta really look around inthe junk yards for it. Ive spent a lil tiem on the net lookin for one and I didnt find it til I came here. Check around, I'm sure someone here has a complete setup layin around...remember..its a 3 piece setup. Or, if you had the time you could make it using angle iron.

My .02