Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

205 shift rail resistance question

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by DukeBoy88, Apr 6, 2003.

1. DukeBoy88

DukeBoy88 1/2 ton status

I just finished rebuilding my 205. everything went pretty well. when I placed the shift rail balls back in followed by the spring and fasteners, the shift rails are almost impossible to move. If I back off the fastener it becomes manageable and acts like gun linkage. My question is how much resistance should there be for me to move the rails with say a screwdriver in the pin hole puling like a T-handle. I think I could either space the fastener with a washer or adjust the spring. I do not have a twin shifter fabbed at this point, I understand that will give me alot of leverage.
    (Side Note) anyone have pictures of there homemade twin shifters? looking for linkage ideas. thanks in advance.

2. DukeBoy88

DukeBoy88 1/2 ton status

Should I be able to shift them by hand? fresh rebuild no shifter. thanks again

3. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

the handle gives alot of leverage to move it. Mine slid easily before the teardown this morning, but as soon as I took the shifter off, it took some sort of tool to be able to move it. so I'd add the stock shifter, just to make sure you didn't miss on a retainer pin or something.