Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

205 shifter bolt.... WRONG SIZE???

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Calclips, Jul 27, 2003.

1. Calclips

Calclips 1/2 ton status

Swartz Creek, Michigan/Flint while in school
    I ordered the 205 shifter bolt from gmpartsdirect, and it is the wrong size. It fits into the shifter, but does not thread into the adapter... its too big. Anybody have this problem before? Did I get the wrong one... I used the p/n that I found on here and cross-refrenced it with a local gm dealership and everything seemed to check out fine. I'm up for trading somebody mine for something that will work. Also, would I be able to take it to a machine shop and have them turn it down and re-thread it the correct size?

Thanks everybody....

2. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

I think that the "newer" adapters are tapped for a larger hole.

At any rate I would not have smaller threads turned onto it. It will make the bolt too weak (stress riser!). I think your best bet would be to return the GM sholder bolt, buy a grade 8 bolt of the proper thread and length, and have a bushing made to fit it (much cheeper to have a bushing made then having threads turned onto it). You might even be able to find some aluminum stock that is the right OD and just drill a hole in it for the bolt to go.

3. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

[ QUOTE ]
    You might even be able to find some aluminum stock that is the right OD and just drill a hole in it for the bolt to go.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nylon bushing would be a lot easier to deal with. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

4. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

The bolt on my 77k-20 transfer case(np205)decided to snap off in the adapter last winter in the middle of a blizzard.I had to remove the tranny hump cover and drill it out--it was a shouldered bolt - 1/2-5/8 shaft with 7/16 course threads.I ended up putting a 1/2 inch bolt in it because I didnt have a 7/16 tap or special bolt available.I scrounged up some neele bearings like the ones in a chevy altenator rear bearing only open on both ends in my junk drawer to use as bushings for the shifter,but I dont know how long they will live in the salt bath in winter here in new england--nylon or bronze bushings would have been better.There should be some kind of bracket to support the head end of the bolt--just tapping it into a hole isnt stong enough for the manhandling nessasary to shift the case sometimes--gm wasnt thinking when they designed the shifter i guess!. /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif