Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

205 Shifter

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Calclips, Jul 6, 2004.

1. Calclips

Calclips 1/2 ton status

Swartz Creek, Michigan/Flint while in school
    Ok.... so I was gonna go sling some mud in the field with a buddy of mine and when I went to pull her back into 4x4 the shifter came off in my hands. This is the second time that I've broken it, and I want to know if anybody has another way other than the stock way to pivot a shifter down in that area.

Thanks...

(Its a 205 if you didn't gather from the name of the post)

2. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

What's breaking, the stick itself or the threaded boss on the adapter?

(btw - you must be a rough shiting dude! /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif )

3. fortcollinsram

fortcollinsram 1/2 ton status

That happened to me once. I had over torqued the shifter bolt into the adapter and the threaded boss on the adapter split laterally and the next time I went to shift out of 4wd, the shifter broke off the adapter. Check to see if the threaded boss is broken and DON'T over torque the shifter bolt...
    Chris

4. Calclips

Calclips 1/2 ton status

Swartz Creek, Michigan/Flint while in school
    It sheared the bolt where it goes into the adaptor... and I should clarify that I didn't actually break two of them... I just replaced one that was all jacked up when I bought the truck and thats the one that broke. I guess I over-torqued it or something.

Also, when ordering from GM are there two different sizes for that bolt? When I ordered the one that broke it came in too big and I had it turned down a little and ran a die down it, probably creating a stress riser and thats what caused it to break. /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

5. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

I sheared the bolt in my 74 plow truck too--had a hard time drilling the broken bolt out of the adaptor,had to pull the hump out of the floor--I ended up putting a half inch bolt back in instead of the "special" shouldered bolt,with a needle bearing for the bushing in the shift handle I had hanging around(looked like a u-joint cap,but open on both ends),I bottomed the bolt in the hole and used a few washers to take up the end play so it wouldnt rattle.It now shifts good again,but I think it should have a brace from under the head of that bolt back to the case itself,it wouldnt be that hard to make one--if you watch the shifter while shifting,you can see how it tends to bend the bolt before it shifts,and the weakest part of the bolt is at the last thread,right where all the stress is--how convenient! /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif Sometimes even GM designs some boners!.