Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

205 shifter

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Calclips, Aug 26, 2002.

1. Calclips

Calclips 1/2 ton status

Swartz Creek, Michigan/Flint while in school
    The shifter on my 205 wobbles back and forth, you can see on the linkage where it is piviting it looks like a bolt with a sleeve arround it. Can I just tighten this bolt up?

2. Leadfoot

Leadfoot 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Maybe, maybe not. It has threads to tighten it down, but the shoulder on it only allows you to tighten it so much. If it's fully tightened and it still rattles, you may get away with using spacers/washers/shims to take up any slack as the shifter wears.
    Also make sure it is well lubed (greased) as that will take up some space and also cushion some of the rattle (it will also slow down additional wear).

3. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

I have fixed that problem before by going to the local hardware store and getting some "bronze thrust washers." These are just simple bronze flat washers, nothing else. They are soft enough to allow you to put a washer on each side of the shifter and tighten the bolt back down. The tightening sequence will allow the bronze washer to "crimp", allowing the shifter to get a tighter feel to it.

I have some of these washers and will take a picture of them if anybody is interested.
    If you guys cannot find any bronze washers, I would be more than happy to get some for you and mail them. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

4. Calclips

Calclips 1/2 ton status

Swartz Creek, Michigan/Flint while in school
    We have a hardware store in town that has alot of nuts-n-bolts type stuff, I'll check there... If they have them I'll give the shifter adjustment a shot tonight when I replace the tranny pan gasket. Thanks alot guys.