Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

205, slip to fixed

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 79k20350, Dec 10, 2005.

1. 79k20350

79k20350 3/4 ton status

So i have a 10 spline fixed yoke 205 (mid seventies) in the garage and wil most likely be buying a slip yoke 205 (32 spline) from an 86. whats involved with swapping from a slip to fixed yoke?

2. onetonbb74

onetonbb74 1/2 ton status

swapping the output shafts in the tc and changing the tail shaft housing, and buying a yoke

3. NorthWestFab

NorthWestFab 1/2 ton status

You need to swap the output shaft, the seal retainer and seal (put a new one in while your at it, CR#21211) and you'll need a fixed yoke. Everything else including the case iron tailhousing and spedometer components will swap directly over.

-Kyle
    NWF.

4. 79k20350

79k20350 3/4 ton status

how hard is it to do? like i said, i'll have both t cases so ill have all the parts, and of course ill install new seals. anyone have a 205 manual w/ exploded views? would help alot. thanks again guys!

5. POWERMAD

POWERMAD 1/2 ton status

If I understand you have the slip yoke type now and are getting a fixed yoke T/C for parts.

If that is the case it only takes a few minutes to swap them out.
    Just unbolt the rear bearing housing, should be 8 bolts.
    Pull the whole assy out and catch all the needle bearings.
    Install all of the needle bearings in the fixed housing(use grease to hold them in place) and install the housing and bolt it back down.
    Pretty much just like that.

6. 79k20350

79k20350 3/4 ton status

pretty much, i have a fixed yoke in the garage and will most likely be buying a slip yoke. just wondering what its going to take to get back to a fixed. thanks guys

7. Leadfoot

Leadfoot 1/2 ton status Premium Member

It's pretty easy.
    I have pics in my sig of the differences. I used to have a write-up on it but can't seem to find it anymore (did anyone save it)? I am planning on writing a more in depth 205 rebuild article in January and hopefully have it posted here. If someone has a copy of my original article (mine was lost in a hard drive crash), I will include the fixed yoke conversion in the article as well.

You can do it in the rig, but it's easier on a bench where you can tilt the case toward it's back to catch the falling needle bearings.