Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

205 slipping to neutral

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by bugspray, Aug 31, 2004.

1. bugspray

bugspray 1/2 ton status

I changed the gear oil out of the transfer case last week. I used a hand pump and pumped it out through the fill plug. I refilled it with 80-90. I went trailing through some wash beds Sunday, and the t-case slipped into neutral a few times on me. If I let the rpms go back to idle, you could hear it slowly start to grab back in, and then it would catch. It didn't start doing this until after I had to put it in 4. I was in regular old 2wd when it would happen, and it seemed like it was when I'd hit the skinny pedal a little to climb or get through something. It was hotter than a firecracker out. It never did this before the fluid change. Do I need thicker gear oil for the summer heat?

2. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

Check the shift linkage

3. TorkDSR

TorkDSR 1/2 ton status

make the hole in the floor bigger.... /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

well, that was my problem anyway... after a bodylift, the floor hole was to small

4. jon v

jon v Registered Member

80w-90 is fine, or 90w. Why didn't you remove the drain plug instead of sucking it out?

5. bugspray

bugspray 1/2 ton status

I looked all over the case, and there wasn't a drain plug. The only way I saw it happening was to undo the 8 bolts and undo the plate and seal. I didn't want to mess with all of that, hence the pump. I'm going to check the linkage later.

6. rcurrier44

rcurrier44 1/2 ton status

All you have to do is pull one of the 8 bolts on the bottom. They are thru-holes and will allow the fluid to drain thru the bolt hole /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. wfo163

wfo163 1/2 ton status

What? Maybe I have to odd ball 205's then as both of mine have a nice big square headed drain plug on the backside right at the bottom of the case. One of my 205's had a problem with popping out of 4lo into neutral. One of the two rings inside that slide onto the gears had become really worn and with new oil in the case it made the ring slip off easier. I tore down and replaced all the worn parts to fix it.

8. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

If you don't have a drain plug, you don't have an NP 205.

Granted it's behind a TH 350, I'm calling that one as an NP 203.

And if that is the case, there is no 2wd position, and the linkage is the must likely culprit for it popping out of gear.

Well, that and the fact it's supposed to have MOTOR OIL in it.

9. bugspray

bugspray 1/2 ton status

When I first got the Blazer, I had to get it rebuilt. The guy said it was a 205. t-case pic
    If it isn't, let me know. I've tried finding any markings saying what kind it is, but not finding any. I'm pretty sure it was gear oil that came out.

10. gonecheenin

gonecheenin 1/2 ton status

can't see em', you must not allow public veiwing of your pic's /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

11. bugspray

bugspray 1/2 ton status

Sorry- try this one.

12. neverdone

neverdone Registered Member

That is for sure a 203. Removing either of the bottom two bolts on the rear of the passenger side cover plate, with the fill plug removed, should allow the fluid to drain. Refill with motor oil, not gear oil. You may have a worn shift fork, a worn out chain/gears, or your shifter needs to be adjusted. Whoever told you that you have a 205 probably should not be working on your truck. Hope this helps.

13. bugspray

bugspray 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the help. What kind of motor oil? What's involved with opening that back plate and looking in there to see what's going on, then putting it back together? Will it be ok to just drain the gear oil, and then put the motor oil in, or do I need to drain, d**sh it out, and then refill with motor oil? I'm going to pull that receipt for the guy who "rebuilt" it for me /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif Granted it was about 4 1/2 years ago.

14. neverdone

neverdone Registered Member

You don't need to flush the case. Let the old stuff drain, then refill with 10w30,10w40,or 30w. I would adjust the shift linkage first. If you decide to pull the cover plate, get a new gasket beforehand. Hope this helps.