Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

205 stuck in 4 lo

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by nose60, Feb 17, 2005.

1. nose60

nose60 Registered Member

:confused: WTF I was checking this thing out after instaling the shifter and it is now stuck in 4 lo I have heard of this before how do u get it unstuck?

2. 70~K5

70~K5 1/2 ton status

Have you tried unlocking the front hubs? Sometimes you have to really yank on the shifter.

3. pvfjr

pvfjr 1/2 ton status

I've had that happen before, seems like it always helped to unlock the hubs and back up just a little, and try to pull it out while SLOWLY coming to a stop. This is with a manual though. If you're auto, you probably want to do this in nuetral.

4. nose60

nose60 Registered Member

the front drive shaft is out I am swaping th 350 203 to sm465 205 in a 79 k5 has gone smooth untill now

5. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

I would suggest looking at the shifter since you just installed it. Something there has to be wrong or a part missing (sorry).

Until you can diagnose the shifter issue you could get under it and disconnect the shifter from the case and manually work the shift rails (with a pry bar, etc.) to get it out of low.

6. nose60

nose60 Registered Member

pry bar bent :mad: I will have to try after I get it moving thanks guys. guess I will not have to worry about it popin out like the 203 :grin:

7. nvrenuf

eew... are you sure the 205 was ok before you installed it?

8. nose60

nose60 Registered Member

drove the doner truck home got it from a friend worked last time we went weelin

9. poinzey

poinzey 1/2 ton status

Don't know if this'll help or not but I have to be rolling forward very slowly to get mine out of 4lo. Usually takes a few tries to get it to shift.

10. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I do the same, with lockers they often bind up quite hard.

Back up and pull forward while pushing forward on the shifter...it'll usually come out.

11. nvrenuf

For those that missed this part...

12. pvfjr

pvfjr 1/2 ton status

Get a big hammer...

13. poinzey

poinzey 1/2 ton status

My bad on missing the front driveshaft part, but you may need to turn the front yolk to get the gears to mesh, might take two ppls. from what i understand, these boxes aint synchod so if the gears dont line up it aint shiftin.

14. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

mine is tough to shift too...

I have to either back up or go forward quickly(punch it!)and then yank on the lever while you let off the gas--its due to the axles binding up,usually from being on tar instead of a slippery surface--I've got it down to a science now,when I first put in my NP205 I thought it was trashed,since I bought it from a boneyard,and found it in the back of an old P series bread van,they didnt know what it came out of,or if it was any good--I had to pay 150 bucks for it too,it was the only one available at the time--It works good though,just a pain to shift sometimes..:crazy:

15. down4thakrown

down4thakrown 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

mines the same way,somtimes u get lucky and it will go,other time takes a foot or two,im runnin 4.11s in the frnt and 4.10s in the rear, usually it goes in after i put it in neutral and rock it,if i had too

16. nose60

nose60 Registered Member

Big Hammer worked

When all else fails get a bigger hammer. I tried rocking it after it was all together no worky. I had to remove the rear cover and use a punch and hammer all works well now:grin: . I think someone(one of 3 son's 4 year old with hammers) jamed the front shift pin when it was on the garage floor. Darn yard ape's:crazy: . thanks for all the input. :laugh: (shackle flip 4" lift next):laugh:

17. 454k30

454k30 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Mine will bind up in 4lo. I roll the truck forward and back pulling backward on the t-case handle while I do it. Sometimes a quick blip of throttle while in reverse will allow me to get her out of 4 lo as well.

18. flatline

flatline 1/2 ton status

I have the same problem when trying to get back to 2wd, I know when I put it in 4lo I have to be in park and my foot can't be on the brake. but to take it out and go to 2wd I have to be in Nuetral with the hubs unlocked and my foot off the brake. It's stiff but once it's out of 4lo it is smooth.

I would just try to rock the vehicle back and forth a few feet and try again, it could be in a bind? Good luck