Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

205 swap----HELP

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by k5stroker, Aug 7, 2000.

1. k5stroker

k5stroker Newbie

I am trying to swap T cases in my Blazer. I have a SM465 trans with a 208 transfer case. I just built a 205 to put in it. The 205 came out of a '78 Suburban with a Sm465 trans. The problem is, my trans has a long output shaft with fine splines. I need a shorter output shaft with course splines to mate up with the new case. I thought all SM465 trans had the course spline output shafts and autos had fine spline shafts. What are my options? Do I have to replace the output shaft?

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I did the same swap you are talking about. I got the whole tranny/T-case together which made it much easier. Is the SM465 from the Busurban still available? If it is that is the best way to go.

Rene 81 Jimmy,350,SM465,FF14 bolt,HD Dana 44,3.73's,4"susp.,35"Grabber MT's,body in progress

3. BIGJ

BIGJ 1/2 ton status Author

I also thought that all manuals came with coarse splines. It might be cheaper to change the input gear for the t-case. Either way, you will need an adapter for the 205 to mate it to the sm465 if you didn't get it when you bought the t-case. Call offroad design, they sell input shafts for 205's.

BIGJ

4. k5stroker

k5stroker Newbie

Thanks for the help. I may have found a 465 trans with course splines that I can trade for. Thanks again.