Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

205 swap out

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 4xmac, May 4, 2001.

1. 4xmac

4xmac Registered Member

Well I"am about ready for my swap out from a 208 to a 205 case. I"ve got the 205 that will mate up to the 700r4,the adapter, coupling,and output shaft for the tranny. For those who have made the swap to a 205 to 700r4, is there any mods to the adapter cross support and also how did you hook up the shift linkage. Thanks

MAC

2. jerseymudder

jerseymudder Registered Member

I have an 86, I istalled a TH-350 & 205. I had to drill out the frame to relocate the crossmember. I also drilled the crossmember for thr mount, the idiots at the parts store couldn't locate th right mount. The 205 has the direct bolt up shifter, so I removed the old linkage and the 205 went right through the same hole. I also had to dump the Y-pipe, the new crossmember was in the way.
    Try to measure EVERYTHING before you start.
    I had to run another drivesaft in thr rear only.
    Keep me posted.

3. Wheels

Wheels 1/2 ton status

I swapped a 350/203 out of my 79 and put a 700/205 in it. I built an adaptor to move the shifter up and forward so it would fit in the original hole in the tranny tunnel. Had to make a new shift linkage. I can take pictures and send them to you if you want. I had to shorten the strut 1 3/4" and re-weld, it is best to do this before you put the tranny in and with the t-case and tranny bolted up . Moving the crossmember was the easiest. Bolt up the tranny, t-case and crossmember to the engine. Jack up the cross member until it just makes contact with the frame. Center the output shaft between the frame rails (this is critical for u-joint operation). With a 1/2" drill bit mark the location of the holes by just bumping the switch on the drill (actual hole size is 7/16" but this should give a good spot for the center of the hole). Center punch the location and drill the hole with a 1/4' or less bit, then drill the 7/16" hole. If spacers are used, lower the jack down to get the spacers in between the cross member and the frame. Drive shafts front needs shortened, and the rear needs to be lengthened. Tranny pan needs to be modified (can't use a deep pan with this setup). The right rear corner of the pan needs to be hammer in about 1/2" (from the side towards the center and towards the top) about 3" long towards the front. The cable hookup to the carb is the worst part of this mod. It needs to be correct or the TV won't work properly. Since you already have the 700, this should be a piece of cake. Good luck, it will take about a weekend plus two nights after work to get everything right.

4. 4xmac

4xmac Registered Member

Thanks Jerseymudder and Wheels for replying to my question. I was taking measurements on my 208 adapter and from the center line of the adapter case to the bottom of the mounting foot was approx. 3 1/2". Now on my new adapter for the 205 it measures 7 1/2". Now this tells me that either I have to get a crossmember from a NP205 or either drop my crossmember down the required amount. If I drop my crossmember down it seems to me the crossmember will be hanging down pretty low. What do you guys think?

MAC