Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

205 swap questions

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Pure Insanity, Jan 14, 2003.

1. Pure Insanity

Pure Insanity 1/2 ton status

Looks like I may be working a pretty good deal on a 350/205 combo to replace or upgrade from my current SNAFU.

What all do I need to get to make this happen. The guy claims he has 2 205s w/ fixed yokes. I am skeptical they are FY cases since I havent seen them yet. I am hoping to go out there tommorow sometime. I do know for a fact he had several D60 SW fronts laying around his yard, I seen those laying under a tree when I was out there a few months ago, I may try to score one of those also in the dealings /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

1st off, how hard and how $$ is is it to swap from SY to FY?

2nd if it IS a SY will my 208 shaft work? Will the front shaft work?

3rd do I need a different crossmemeber, mounts ETC.?

4th what do I look for to make sure this isnt some bastard conversion thing? I dont want to end up w/ odd ball hard to find parts.

5th is there ANYTHING that would also go along w/ this that I havent asked.

This is going into an 86 Blazer to replace the current 208. I have had a 350 in there the whole time so there is no difference there.

2. Pure Insanity

HMMMM maybe the title has scared everyone off. Its not two hundred and five swap questions....Its questions for swapping a 205 Tcase. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

TTT

3. Flexy K20

Flexy K20 1/2 ton status

If he's got SRW Dana 60's lying there, tell him you got a friend (me) who wiill give him $500 cash for one. Let me know what he says. Thanks
    -fLeXy

4. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

If he's got D60's laying around tell him I will give him $500 each and take em all. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

1- it's not too hard to switch you need the parts.
    2- I believe the slip yoke is different size and spline count so I would say no. for the front it will be wong length and probable the 205 is a yoke and the 208 a flange.
    3- different crossmember
    4- get factory parts like the crossmember adapter, you might even find a factory driveshaft but I would go with a new one from one of the manufacturers out there, better and cheaper.
    5- the shifter, make sure you get it with the tcase. Also you didn't say if the 205 was behind a 350, and if it comes witht he adapter. Is the input shaft 10 square splines or is it 27 fine splines?

5. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Make sure you get the adapter for the tranny/t-case of course, and make sure that it's not cracked. Pretty typical for the "feet" to crack where it bolts to the crossmember.

I *think* you will need a new crossmember. Mine came out of an 80's K5 as well, but its the "flat" style. The ones with one or two humps in them will NOT work, as the 205 adapter (all I've seen anyway) are tall, and the later 208 adapters are short, so the crossmember is raised in the center to allow the "shorter" adapter.

I had to drill the frame to accept the 465/205 crossmember location, but the 350/205 location might be the same as the 700/208. If not, it is not a big deal, you bolt the stuff to the engine, support with floor jack, and drill.

The $$ are what I'd be leery of if they are slip yoke cases, you could probably buy a fixed yoke version for the price of the "deal" you will get from this guy after you add in the cost of the additional parts you'll need to convert one to FY from SY.

6. Pure Insanity

He KNOWS what 60s are and what theyre worth....but Ill see what he wants for them. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

The deal Im getting is $350 for tranny and case. A pair that is together. So that takes care of the spines and adapters. Actually Im trading the wheels that came off the Blazer when I did the 8 lug swap. A set of 15x12 589s. Tranny works too. (Ill still have it rebuilt anyway) I am hoping he has EVERYTHING I need to do it right down to the Xmember. Shafts would be nice if he has them but wont break the deal if he doesnt.

I still havent had a chance to get w/ him to see the stuff. Ill go by this weekend at worst. The reason I havent gone yet is he lives on a dirt road and lives like a 1/2 mile back off the road on what I guess you could call a trail for a driveway. W/ the Blazer down I have been driving my brothers slammed Civic. It doenst exactly go too far on anything taller than 3 inches. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif Its really a blast to drive the little thing /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif its like a street legal Go-Kart. I just cant get used to the idea of my butt being lower than where the diffs are on the Blazer, and the roof is where I am used to my seat being. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif