Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

205 swaps-Grim, Depdog

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by titanic, Nov 2, 2000.

1. titanic

titanic 1/2 ton status

A friend of mine wants to know if a 205 that was married to a T400,could be bolted up behind a T350. I told him I didn't know if the spline counts,{27=T350,32=T400?), were the same or if the adapters matched up. I'm a 465/205 guy. Thanks for any help.

2. JimmyDie6.2

JimmyDie6.2 1/2 ton status

i believe that one could mate the 205 to a 350trans, that was for a 400trans, but would need an adapter. I have the info in my office, a company makes the adapter pieces. I'll post it tomorrow if no one here beats me to it.........js

3. Depdog

Depdog 1/2 ton status Author

Grim might know, but I am with you I have an Sm-465 and Np205.

Depdog

<font color=blue>"Lead, Follow, or BECOME the Trail"</font color=blue>

http://depdogsk5.coloradok5.com

4. mudfanatic

mudfanatic 1/2 ton status

then is there an adapter to go the other direction with a 205, you know, a 205 that was mated to a th350 could it be mated to a th400 with an adapter???

<font color=red>get involved with land issues or lose the land</font color=red>

5. Waxer

Waxer 1/2 ton status Author

The adapter isn't the hard part. Thats actually the easiest part. The sleeve is whats important. If in fact the 400 is 32 spline, then the sleeve that mates the 205 must have 32 spline on each end. When I did the 205 swap from a 203, the splines matched up on the sleeves. The thing I've heard about the 400 is that it isnt as efficient and takes away power where as the 350 is more efficient and doesnt. Anyways, bottom line is you'll have to find an input shaft for the 205 with the correct spline count for the sleeve that goes to the 400.

6. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Yeah like Waxer said it's all in the adaptors and the spuds. The TH350 parts are pretty hard to come by but they are out there if you look long enough. Not sure if Advance adaptors would have the parts but they would be the best shot. The other alterantive is to call up old Stephen Watson at ORD and see if he has the new doubler kit ready <GRIN> 203's are a dime a dozen and if the new kit works out the way he is hoping he will be able to mate any GM 205 to the 203 reduction box.
    Unless your bud gets lucky and finds the TH350 parts used for a decent price he is going to end up spending a couple hundered on the adapters if they are made. Might as well throw it in to the doubler kit.
    He would probaly have better luck finding a TH400 to run the case that he will the 350 adaptors. Yeah it's a bit power hungry but it has plenty of beef.

Diging it in the dirt with my K5's
    Grim-Reaper
    http://grimsk5s.coloradok5.com/

7. LittlePig

LittlePig 1/2 ton status

The TH350 and TH200 versions have different inputs. The 350 versiion has a shaft sticking out of the T-case, whereas the 400 version has a socket. You could put the 400 version behind a 350 with some sort of spud shaft, but the 350 version would need some sort of sleeve with the different spline counts, plus some sort of adapter since the 400 has a different mounting method. For the amount of fabricating, you might be better to do the doubler thing.

What someone really needs to do is create a drop-in input gear that converts any 205 to bolt up behind a 350, but does so the way the 400 does, with the tranny directly engaging the input gear through a female input (stronger connection). Any machinists listening out there?

Email: xiaozhu@my-deja.com

8. Donovan

Donovan 1/2 ton status

Machinist here, but you are looking at around $300 to 400 to make the input gear plus the adapter. If this is doable I would build one but is it really worth it? If there was enough interest I would look into doing it.

Donovan