Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

205 tear-down

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by BigOrange90Jimmy, Aug 15, 2002.

1. BigOrange90Jimmy

BigOrange90Jimmy 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I'm pulling the tailshaft housing off my 205 to send to Donovan for the speedo conversion (he's tha man!!!). While doing so, all the needle bearings fell out of the housing. Are they still good now, or will I have to buy a new bearing?

2. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Just clean 'em up with a good solvent. As long as you get all the dirt off of them, they'll be fine. Those things are made out of some HARD metal, so I doubt that you damaged them. /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

3. BigOrange90Jimmy

ok, do i need to take the bearing itself out before i send it off, or leave it in there? how could i store it? when i put it back in, do i use wheel bearing grease to hold the needles in or should i use something else.

4. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

What Harry said....

Those needle bearings are very hard material. Falling onto the ground/floor will do nothing to them but get them dirty. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

Just clean them and reinstall them.

Tip: when putting them back in, and to keep them in place from falling out, dab some grease on them. Grease is thick enough that it will hold the needles in place and you won't have to worry about them falling out. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

5. thatK30guy

LMAO!! /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

"Great minds think alike!" /forums/images/icons/wink.gif /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

6. 8_YOUR_H2

8_YOUR_H2 1/2 ton status

You can leave the race in there and keep the needle bearings with you. Then use grease to hold them in place when you re assemble.....

Speedometer? Who needs a stinking speedometer? /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

7. BigOrange90Jimmy

I NEED A SPEEDOMETER!!! the NCSHP isn't very friendly when it comes to speeding 4x4's

8. BigOrange90Jimmy

yeah that's an excellent idea K30. wish i had thought about that myself...thanks for the tip man, i really appreciate it. just wanted to make sure that i had read that right somewhere before about using grease

9. 70~K5

70~K5 1/2 ton status

count them and make sure you found all of them. Someone here should be able to tell us how many there are.

10. Mr.Chevy4x4

Mr.Chevy4x4 1/2 ton status

IIRC there should be 15 of those large needle bearings. FWIW

Mike

11. thatK30guy

Funny, I was thinking of "15" too, but was afraid to post that since someone like m j might come in and make some wise-ass remark about the number of needles. /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif

Make that 2 guys who say "15" needle bearings. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

12. BigOrange90Jimmy

good deal. i'll count'em tomorrow

13. Mr.Chevy4x4

Yep, you've got to watch what you say, because if you screw up and give bad info MJ is quick to point out the err of your ways!!! /forums/images/icons/grin.gif This is me speaking from experience!! /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif

Mike

14. thatK30guy

I've had that experience, too. /forums/images/icons/frown.gif

Guess he can't say nothing now since that makes 2 of us that agree on the "15" needle bearings!! /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

15. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

gee that sucks, getting a bad rep for trying to provide accurate info (not that mine is any more accurate then others)

16. Mr.Chevy4x4

Nah........we are glad you are here to straighten us out when we go astray! /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

Mike

17. BigOrange90Jimmy

Well I counted them, but they were more than 15. I was referring to the tailshaft needle bearing, just in case you didn't catch it. Do I have a weird 205 or is it something else.

18. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

hey here is an opportunity to correct <font color="pink">Wes</font color> n all.

needle bearings are in a few spots on the tailshaft, but only one spot on the tailhousing IIRC
    so you must be refering to the tiny "should be caged" bearings rather then the large loose pocket bearing that the tip of the shaft rides on where it is inserted into the input gear.
    I would replace it if it fell apart.
    did you have any trouble with the alleged 15 large ones?

19. BigOrange90Jimmy

Yep I was referring to the tiny "should be caged" bearings. The ones closest to the case itself, inside the tailhousing. What and where are the 15 large ones?

20. Leadfoot

Leadfoot 1/2 ton status Premium Member

The 15 larger (compared to the tiny ones in the cage you were talking about) ones, go into the tailshaft and slip over the end of the input shaft. This is what allows the rear shaft to spin independantly (with t-case in neutral) to the input shaft, and at a different speed (~1.96:1) when the t-case is shifted into low range, but also keeps the two shafts inline. When you pull the whole tailshaft assembly out (rear shaft and all), these are the bearings that usually end up in the case (unless you position the case so it's flat on it's back, which means the case has to be elevated). The two rows on each shaft of needle bearings contain 32 bearings each, as for the bearing your talking about, I can't remember how many there are, but the cage should be full (again use grease to aid) and there should not be room for anymore (obviously) when full.