Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

205 to a 700r Who's done it?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Highlander, Jun 21, 2002.

1. Highlander

Highlander 1/2 ton status

205 to a 700r Who\'s done it?

I'm going to put a 205 behind my 700r, I'm getting everything from I4x4 aka Ed. And I'm looking for some insight in to doing this swap, Is there anything I should lookout for? And those of you that have done it how do you like it?

Eric

2. Leadfoot

Leadfoot 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Re: 205 to a 700r Who\'s done it?

You can do it two ways.

1. Using a stock 4WD 700, stock th350-205 adapter and drivesleeve, 350 version 205, and a spacer (found in another post in this forum). This will add additional length and you will need a shorter rear shaft and much longer front. By going this route you will not have to worry about front driveshaft clearance.

2. The other way to go is to use a 700 with an Advanced Adapters new output shaft (requires complete teardown), stock th350-205 adapter and drivesleeve, 350 version 205. You will still need to modify driveshafts and you don't have much room for clearance between the trannypan and front driveshaft. This is the route I went and now would have preferred to go the spacer route as I had to modify the tranny pan.

If you don't want the tranny after using the spacer you can sell it easier, but with the different AA output shaft it can only be used in that setup and not as valuable as a stock replacement. Hope this helps.

3. LA Bogger

LA Bogger 1/2 ton status

Batmanjr is in the process of doing this. There is a post on the board but I can't remember which board. He already has pic of the adapter he is using.

Eat More Mud!!!

AIRBORNE!!!!!

4. 4xmac

4xmac Registered Member

I had done the same swap as leadfoot using AA"s outputt shaft about a year ago. The only real issues I had were a slight clearance problem on the corner of the trany pan, support rod from trany to t-case had to be modefied, had to use 205 shift linkage and tunnel notched out a bit for clearance, thats about it.

5. Chris_T

Chris_T 1/2 ton status

I swapped with the AA shaft in my first gen and had no issues. The corner of the pan is awfully close and mine was 'massaged' for clearance. Be careful with spacers as a while back people using spacers were prone to vibration. I disagree about having the shaft swapped in making these trannies less valuble. Last time at the trans shop the owner wanted me to let him rebuild my trans just so he could see the shaft because of so many guys wanting to do this swap. Transmissions with this shaft get snapped up pretty damn quick around here.

6. Leadfoot

I guess I shouldn't have said less "valuable", but trying to get rid of an old one (that still works) is tougher. Lots of guys have stock 700's and if they need a replacement, yours won't work after swapping in the AA shaft (unless you tear it down again and put their's in......). If you have guys/girls in the area looking for the "Special" 700 with AA's shaft, then you might actually get more $$ for it as it is rarer (rarer usually equals more $$). It will be a case of supply and demand. More people need stock length shafts than short shafts, but several people want the shorter shaft.

7. Highlander

Thanks Leadfoot and the rest of you.
    I have yet to see the parts but I'm told that It will be using the spacer like Batmanjr. I'll have to put in the 27 spline in and maybe a seal and gasget I'll have to wait till Sunday to pick it all up and play with it. I'm happy to hear that I don't have to fab up a new crossmember And I did wounder about the shifter location, why not a twin stick?

Eric

8. BIGJ

BIGJ 1/2 ton status Author

I ran the short shaft in my tranny when I did the swap. I had similar minor issues like everyone else. If you put the shorter shaft in, it makes things easier if you want to run a doubler later. The 203 range box will bolt right up. If you are running the factory mainshaft, you will have more work and possibly more expense in the future. Just something to think about. I got real tired of the 2 to 1 low range in the 205, and I'm in the process of getting stuff for a doubler. I'm glad I don't have to pull the tranny again /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

BIGJ

9. Highlander

I'll go with the spacer and use the oem shaft. I don't really want to go into the tranny right now. And I don't think I'll step up to a dbl.( Well at lest not anytime soon) Hey BigJ did you make that tube bumper?

Eric

10. Leadfoot

Twin stick is nice if you need it. I was going to twin stick mine when I rebuilt it, but I don't do tight trails (where a twin stick really shines) and like the single stick for what I do. If I had a short wheelbase vehicle that I was going to bring on tight trails then I would definitely go with twin stick. One problem is if you modify the shift rail for twin stick you CANNOT use the single stick again (unless you put a new shift rail in).

11. Highlander

Leadfoot
    I don't think I'll go with a twin stick, I've given it some thought and for right now I'll stay with what I've got, Right now I'm waiting on a rebuild kit from 4wp, We'll see if I got a deal on it or not, So untill it gets here I'll see if I can find a book on how to overhaul the 205 and weather or not I want to try to do it or farm it out. so if anybody has an open weekend let me know haha

Eric

12. Leadfoot

I'm sending you the preliminary artical I'm writing on the 205 rebuild. That and the pictures I have on this site should help if you want to do it yourself. Check your email... /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

13. Highlander

To bad I didn't get it, It should of went to me if you used the E-mail address link. I don't get any e-mail from my postings here on CK5 I have it set up that I get them too. My kit from 4WP came today put I was at work and they wouldn't leave them at the door so I'll have to wait till friday to see if 4WP sent the right parts if they did I got a master overhaul kit for 45$ thats about 100$ off thanks to their computer. So if everything goes to plan I'll dig in to my 205 this weekend. I'll let you know how it goes.

Eric

14. Leadfoot

I take it, it did not reach you. I didn't get any error messages when I sent it.

15. slider

slider 1/2 ton status

I have also seen where people have moved their motor forward and use the stock drive shafts, You have to run a electric fan to do this, but it is the way to save money on drive shafts. We did this on a buddies of mine truck, slid everything forward and drilled new holes. If you wanted to you could weld up the open holes, we just left them open

16. Highlander

Well Leadfoot I got my kit from 4WP it's not the master kit it's a seal and gasget set so I'll just put those in. I talked to a driveshaft shop here in denver for a rear shaft with 1330 joints and a CV set up is 420. the front will cost about 200. for the overhaul. Now I just need to get time off from work well at lest not having to work on a Saturday, these 12hr 6 days a week kinda suck but I can use the overtime I think....

Eric