Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

205 Tranny????

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by TXBIGFISH, Oct 2, 2001.

1. TXBIGFISH

TXBIGFISH 1/2 ton status

All right guys, I need help.....again, yes this is my first 4 wheel drive so please....bear with me!
    I was going to the car wash to hose the undercariage down so I can get down to doing some mods this weekend. On the way there, the tranny slipped out of gear and would not stay in 2 high unless I held it there. I adjusted the linkage and no dice.. it wont go into gear, I have gone the full spectrum of adjustment and no luck however I do get 4 low. Is the 205 shot or did I miss something? HELP!!!I If I have to get a new tranny,my wife says there go the boggers, she picked out!!
    By the way anyone out there from Texas too? How about the DFW area?
    Thanks,

<*)))><

2. Executioner

Executioner 1/2 ton status

Temp. Ft. Walton Beach Fl. home=Tucson, Az.
    The 205 tranny is the best, keep trying the ajustment, or the shifter guts need to be looked at.
    Good luck

3. Nonesuch

Nonesuch 1/2 ton status

LOL thats mean!

4. michaelm

michaelm 1/2 ton status

what are you adjusting?
    better still, start at the beginning.
    what year, make, model, transmission auto or manual, etc?
    as far as i can remember the np205 TRANSFER CASE linkage has no adjustment.
    little more info and i am sure the boys onhere may be more helpful rather then smug.

5. Executioner

Executioner 1/2 ton status

Temp. Ft. Walton Beach Fl. home=Tucson, Az.
    Was not meant to be . Just about every one here will agree the 205 is the best tanny, atleast the voting majority.
    The other is my best guess at what's wrong.
    Sorry you are the one who needs good luck

6. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

Guys like you don't deserve to belong to a brotherhood like this............GROW UP and help the poor guy out if you can.

<font color=blue> WE WILL NEVER SURRENDER<font color=blue>

7. '73 K5

'73 K5 1/2 ton status

Man Exe...you used to just make me mad, but now you just make me laugh. This place wouldn't be the same without you. The Dana205 is also my fav. tranny. [​IMG]

'73 K5
    Chevy good...Ford bad

8. SWAMPRNR

SWAMPRNR 1/2 ton status

Are you sure you dont have a 208 Transfer ? My 205 cannot be adjusted but my 208 can.

A BIG HAMMER CAN FIX ANYTHING.. [​IMG]

9. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

OK, for the moment just ignore the wisecracks going around here. Executioner is infamous here for his, uhhh, "way with words".

Now, time for some basic info. Is your truck manual or auto trans? Are you sure you've got an NP205 transfer case? If you're not positive on what the T-case is, describe what it looks like and we'll try to help you from there.

September 11, 2001--"A date which will live in infamy"

10. TXBIGFISH

TXBIGFISH 1/2 ton status

OOPS.......My bad I messed up, it's been a long day! I have a 208 C transfer case. I have a 81' jimmy with a 305, and automatic. With self locking hubs. I have moved the shifter linkage forward and backwards on the adjustment rod and no dice. I can try to shift it to 2 high or 4 high and 4 low. I get a gear grinding noise as if has lost it's synchros when I try to put it in 2 high. If I adjust the lincage all the way back I can get 4 low, but nothing else. If I adjust it all the way to the front it feels as if it binds up but it will not go. No Matter what!
    Is it trash or am I just missing something?
    Thanks guys, for all the help!

&lt;*)))&gt;&lt;

11. Pugsley

Pugsley 1/2 ton status

It definitely sounds like something went haywire - Probably due for a replacement or rebuild.

Of the 5 toughest dogs in the neighborhood, my cat's ranked #3
    <a target="_blank" href=http://pugsley.alloffroad.com>pugsley.alloffroad.com</a>

12. coopertwpk

coopertwpk 1/2 ton status

Ok first get a shop manual, second you can only shift into 4lo at stand still in nuetral the 208 is a pain to get perfect also if your motor mts are shot it will kick in and out of 4hi.
    sorry for the spelling.
    88k5 silverado w4"lift <font color=orange>d44 and corp14ff</font color=orange> with 4.11<P ID="edit"><FONT class="small">Edited by coopertwpk on 10/03/01 09:19 PM.</FONT></P>

13. TXBIGFISH

TXBIGFISH 1/2 ton status

The motor mounts are OK, I'm not sure what you mean by a manual 2nd? Also, are there any other transfer cases that are a direct change out with the 208? My auto locking hubs also seem to be locked in, would it be a wise thing to do to go ahead and get manual locking hubs? The one truck I had years ago with auto locking hubs, was a real BOOGER to get out of locked, any suggestions? You guys are great, sorry to keep bothering you but you are the only source of info I have! I am glad I found this site in 4 Wheel and Off Road.
    Thanks,

I thought this truck was a great deal, I'm really begining to wonder! I've had it 2 days and driven it about half a day, it's got to get better! Right?!!

&lt;*)))&gt;&lt;

14. gokartergo

gokartergo 3/4 ton status Staff Member Moderator

Get warn premium hubs. You won't regret it....Dan

If it ain't broke.......Don't fix it....
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/Gokartergo>KLICK</a>

15. do you have a shop manual? there is a proper way to adjust the linkage on a 208. you are supposed to do it in 4 high and use a .2 inch spacer( just under a 1/4 inch) to set it right. make sure you try it that way first before you tear it out of there. if it's internal, they are pretty cheep to replace from the salvae yard.

<font color=blue>"What does mine say?"
    "SWEET! What does mine say?"
    "DUDE!" </font color=blue>

16. TXBIGFISH

TXBIGFISH 1/2 ton status

No I haven' bought a manual yet, the last couple of Chiltons I bought left something to be desired, any others better? As to the tranny, I cannot get it into 4 high, just 4 low. nothing else works, and only 4 low when I get the linkage adjusted all the way to the rear. I guess I'm going to the yard tomorrow! One more day of the FLU I guess.
    Thanks,

&lt;*)))&gt;&lt;

17. 74Roadster

74Roadster Registered Member

I've got a Chilton's manual right here in front of me. For reference it is the Chilton's for Chev/GMC pick-ups and Suburban for 1980-87. (P/N 8577)
    Under the drivetrain section it shows a side view of the 208C linkage.
    From what I can see there is a range selector arm on the side of the T-case. Try disconnecting the T-case lever from that arm and manually select a range. From the top (Arm pointing straight up) the ranges are 4 LO, N, 4 HI, 2 HI. If the arm is pointing straight up rotate counter-clockwise, you should feel detents between the ranges. See if you can manually select 2 HI, if you can...go out and buy a Chilton's and follow their instructions for adjusting the linkage.
    After reading your other post about wheel roll as you put it I'm guessing the linkage was out of adjustment and you were really in 4 HI causing some wierd handling and tire scrub when turning tightly. I'd lose the auto hubs ASAP too.

74 roadster in progress [​IMG]

18. riz

riz 3/4 ton status

<font color=purple> This should have let you know that some extra help was needed ...........All right guys, I need help.....again, yes this is my first 4 wheel drive so please....bear with me! I'm not trying to belittle you at all ....... I'm just saying that this message should have thrarted any mean intent from others here .............. I've posted before without knowing fully what I'm talking about too and this is when I needed help the most and other times I'm posting at 3 or 4 in the morning and my brain went to bed at midnight and I'm not so clear ........Joking is one thing but joking AND helping is another !

L8r,
    . Riz . <a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/rizmonkey>www.geocities.com/rizmonkey</a>

<font color=purple> BOW CHICKA BOW WOW !

19. TXBIGFISH

TXBIGFISH 1/2 ton status

Thanks guys, I'll be on it all day today, hope I don't have to get another transfer case! I will let you know how it went. Thanks again, for tolerating a "newbie".
    Thanks,

&lt;*)))&gt;&lt;

81' GMC Jimmy

20. Mr.Chevy4x4

Mr.Chevy4x4 1/2 ton status

Here is your answer, but probably not what you wanted to hear. The chain in your t-case is gone, broken. That is why you can only move in 4-low. I had this happen to me once back in '88, in an '87 pickup that only had 52k miles on it. Good luck.

'85 K5 : Run it til it breaks, then fix it and go again!