Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

205 transfer case

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Geno, Nov 21, 2002.

1. Geno

Geno Registered Member

My transfer case makes noise when going over 50mph. It sounds like gears meshing only too loud, noise vibrates up through the shifter handle, It does have alittle play in it but not bad. Can hear noise under power and when slowing down, tapers off when you are coasting, any Ideas?

2. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> Does the noise go away if you put your hand on the shifter? If so then it's just worn out bushings on the shifter, the 205s do that all the time. I just replaced the worn bushings with some bronze ones that I got at the hardware store. If it doesn't go away when you try to hold it still, are you sure that you're not in 4wd on the pavement?
    </font color>

3. Geno

Geno Registered Member

Was wondering about that, The sound does mostly go away when I hold the shifter. Will look into those bushings, thanks alot for your reply.

4. mountainexplorer

mountainexplorer 1/2 ton status

I have a 205 in just about everything I own. About half of them have that vibrating noise going down the highway, especially my Suburban. Often times, we just throw a jacket or something on top of the handle and it quiets it down.

5. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> I remembered the other thing that I did to help this. the bushings are the most important thing, but another thing that helped was that I got a sheet of real thick reinfoced rubber, cut a slit in it and sandwiched it between the shifter boot and the floorboard. The metal ring that holds the boot on sandwiches it with teh floorboard. The rubber squeezes the shift lever and helps keep it from vibrating. My shifter went from being so loud that you couldn't hold a conversation over it to being hardly noticable. </font color>