Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

205 twin stick kits

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Muddytazz, Sep 18, 2006.

1. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

I'm in the market to reseal my newly aquired 205 and am going to twin stick it at the same time.

What I'm wanting to know from people that have twin sticked their 205's is how's kit did you use and why?

I know of only 2 places to get them so far and that is ORD and JKWOffroad. Are there any others?

2. lamberthkp

lamberthkp SITFU Premium Member

i dont know of any others i got mine from someone on here who got it from JKW but still need to grind down my shift rails or send my old ones and $60 to ORD to do it for me.

3. spoolnaround

spoolnaround 1/2 ton status

JKW claims their rails are twinstick ready.

[​IMG]GM NP205 transfer case Shift Rails

This is a pair of brand new NP205 transfer case shift rails. These are machined to allow full twin stick functionality. Now you won't have the guess work of grinding your existing worn out rails in order to add a twin stick. They are brand NEW rails, not modified stock rails. They will fit 73 and newer passenger side drop NP205 transfer case, commonly the GM and some Dodge versions. They are machined from heat treated alloy steel for years of durable use. They will allow you to shift the front or rear axle into hi, neutral or low range and maintain the safety detents which restrict you from shifting into hi and low at the same time. These are a great addition to my twin stick shifter kit.

Price: $105.00

4. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

I'm not to concerned about the shift rails, as I'm going to grind my own. Just mainly concerned about the rest of the kit.

5. spoolnaround

spoolnaround 1/2 ton status

Gotcha. Both have been great to deal with, are the kits the same? I have also purchased transfercase parts from 4X heaven in New York. Good people to deal with and they were the only people who seemed to be able to get just the idler shims for a 205.

6. MattK

MattK 1/2 ton status

ive got the jkw kit. ground my own rail. shifters are pretty beefy MINUS the cheesy feeling knobs. thats my only real gripe. i would have liked something a bit denser like the factory rubber/plastic/whatever. but the end of the shifters are threaded. so i suppose it wouldn't be too hard to find somethin else to screw on there.

[​IMG]

7. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

Should be your basic 1/2"-13 threads. Lots of knobs can be had at your local hardware store in that, wooden, rubber, plastic, whatever... also one of the SoCal crew here makes pool balls (8-ball, etc) in that (Roadnotca), and WFO makes those blingy aluminum ones.

The ones on the ORD kit were maybe 3/4" or 1" diameter plastic balls, pretty basic and booooring.

8-balls: http://coloradok5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=165281

My WFO knobs: http://www.slosh.com/dremu/wfo-knobs.jpg

-- A

8. Roland_Jenkins

Roland_Jenkins Registered Member

Ordered the kit from JKW just the other day. Reason, its complete including boot. Got a reply and tracking number right away :)

9. MattK

MattK 1/2 ton status

man did you have to order the rails the rails to get the boot? i know i didn't get one!

10. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

No, I just talked with him via pm's and you can order the boot separately with just the standard kit. Just pm him and he'll get you set up :thumb:

11. dleroy43

dleroy43 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

mine is a home fabbed set. I ground the rails myself(easy) and found an amigo twin boot for free :D
    I am still trying to add a third ****er for the 203 though. Most after market ones you would be able to buy the third shifter, bolt it on and go if you neede to in the future

12. pvfjr

pvfjr 1/2 ton status

I just did a homebrew for about $15 in random parts and some scrap steel. Used two stock style shifters, had to bend one slightly. The old setup got donated to donimator's rig, I'll be redesigning for my triple shifters and starting from scratch rather than using stock shifters. Already got the ideas brewing in my head.

13. JK5

JK5 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Hey Jeff, what's new???

I built my own twinstick with 3/8" shift rods...
    [​IMG]

I used the old bolt, welded the factory grease grooves, then machined a groove for each shifter. The other backets were made from 1/4" and 5/16" CR steel. After everything was machined, I clamped the brackets in place, then welded them. (Using the case as a jig)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

Hey Jerry, message me on messenger if you can.

15. JK5

JK5 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I can't here at work... :(

16. IDGMC

IDGMC 1/2 ton status

Can you all help me understand the benifits of a twin stick? I assume it splits the gears so you get twice the forward and reverse gears? Is there more to it then that?

17. MattK

MattK 1/2 ton status

it allows independent control of the front and rear axles. ever been on the trail in 4 low and you need to make a real tight turn? to remain in 4 means you've got a larger turning radius and if you are on a higher traction surface you may have some binding and lurching.

so your choices are to deal with all that or stop, put it back into 2 hi, then continue on. with a twin stick you can simply slap the front (or rear depending on preference, situation, and axle build level) into neutral and power around a tight turn while still in low.

there are other situations to use it in, but this is the most useful to me when i wheel.

18. ryanstrucking

ryanstrucking 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Lets not forget about the guys up in canada. NWF. (North West Fab).
    They make a twin stick as well as a lot of other great parts for 4x4s.
    I've bought high steer arms, doubler, 35 spline drive flanges, billet aluminum bearing retainers and a twin stick to name a few things.
    Awsome guys and there parts are top notch and priced well.
    heres a link.
    http://northwestfab.com/Shifters.html

19. JIMMY76

JIMMY76 1/2 ton status

I have the ORD on I still haven't done the shift rails yet waiting for the time when I need to reseal the transfer case when ever it does starts to leak but I did like the kit came with everything needed and good instructions I am happy with it. It does take a couple weeks to get and make sure you tellthem the year of tranmission and transfer case I learned the hard way they sent out the more common shift levers for my set up and I needed the not so common shift lever I guess due to mine being an 86

20. DEMON44

DEMON44 Low-Tech Redneck

Anyone have a link to WFO? what does that stand for. Never heard of them before but I sure like the triple stick alum knobs. I think I'll need some to remind me WTF all my shifters DO :D