Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

205 twin stick rail grinding

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Mudstud, Nov 7, 2003.

1. Mudstud

Mudstud 1/2 ton status

I have just learned that to do the twin sticks properly on the 205 you DO have to grind some on the front shift rail. I have done the twin sticks and have run it sucessfuly for several months with no apparent problems but I'd like to know if others know where to grind on the front rail. I never found any articles stating the front needed grinding but I'd like to read some if they're out there. /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

2. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

Search would have produced everything you need to know and more because it comes up month after month after month. In any case, here is the info again...

3. Thumper

Thumper 1/2 ton status

Umm dumb question maybe, but if you have it and it has worked for the last several months, who cares if the front rail is ground or not? If it works, it works right?

Mike

4. Mudstud

Mudstud 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the replys but I have done the research and have read the articles. That article makes no mention of grinding the FRONT rail. That's what I'm inquiring about. As far as 'it works don't mess with it' well I've got the t-case apart right now and if there's more grinding to be done then now is the time to do it. So back to the question about grinding the FRONT rail. Anybody know?

5. BadDog

Never heard of that. What does "properly" mean? What problem is supposed to surface if you don't grind the front rail?

6. Waxer

Waxer 1/2 ton status Author

Neither have I. I did not touch the front rail and I have had no problems with my twin stick setup.

I think you have been misinformed...

Eeek!! Just realized I'm blue... oh well

7. unclematty

unclematty 1/2 ton status

it seems like the magazine 4wheel and offroad ran an article about performing that very thing on a 205, I'll look through my old issues maybe I can find it try going to their web site /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/hack.gif /forums/images/graemlins/weld.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grind.gif

8. ilikemud

ilikemud 1/2 ton status

there are two spots on the front rail that you have to enlarge (detent spots) the reason for this is merley so you cant shift the t-case into low and high at the same time... but if you havnt had a problem or you dont think you are going to bump it than id say dont worry about it... i dont have exact ammounts that they need to be ground, but if you still want them i am sure i can dig em up...

9. BadDog

Grinding the rear rail does exactly that. Mine will not shift into mixed high/low. Grinding the front rail is totally unnecessary as far as I can tell or have ever heard (other than this thread).

As for the Peterson’s article, the post to my site is a scan of that very article. No need to go looking…

10. mplogic

mplogic 1/2 ton status

Just a couple quick questions, why would you ever want to shift the front and rear into high and low at the same time? Is this a rockcrawling thing or am I missing something obvious? Without modifying either rail is it still possible to shift the front or rear into high or low with the other end in neutral? I would think that would be the main benefit to a twin stick, no?

edit- oops, didn't realize this was such an old post. I'm sure the info I'm looking for is on here somewhere. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

11. 70jimmy

70jimmy 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Released from Pueblo, told I belong in Southpark
    Off Road Design will do the rail for you for a small fee. They said they fill in the rail and machine it. Seems a lot more precise than guessing and hope its right.

12. BadDog

I didn't know they filled in the rail (maybe that changed?) but they do a much more exact job that using a grinder. If I had known they were doing that before I did mine, I probably would have let them do it.

mplogic:
    I'm not at all sure what you're talking about.
    [ QUOTE ]
    why would you ever want to shift the front and rear into high and low at the same time?

[/ QUOTE ]
    If your talking about putting front and rear in *different* ranges at the same time, grinding the rail properly is intended to prevent that. And no, without grinding the range/rear rail, all you get is 4Lo, N, 2Hi, 4Hi. After grinding you have every possible combination (FL, RL, 4L, N, 4H, FH, RH) as long as you don't try to mix ranges on front and rear simultaneously.

13. Okiemuddog

Okiemuddog 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the article Russ /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/bow.gif /forums/images/graemlins/bow.gif

14. 70jimmy

70jimmy 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Released from Pueblo, told I belong in Southpark
    I had already done mine myself also when I went to ORD for some parts and found out they will grind them. I am sure much more precise than the method I used which was the Peterson's article and using a ruler to measure what they had done. Oh Well We will see if mine lasts. Seems to work but I haven't had the chance to test off road hard yet.

15. camiswelding

camiswelding 1/2 ton status

they set them up on the mill...
    they did mine
    65.00... which isnt cheap BUT
    way cleaner than the grinder route
    cam

16. GrimWheeler

GrimWheeler Registered Member

17. big_truxx

big_truxx 1/2 ton status

mmmmm shifty!

:xmas: bonus for you for scanning the article in. wish i had a complete set of magazines. unfortunately i have only been subscribed for about 6 months now :(

18. FRIZZLEFRY

FRIZZLEFRY 1/2 ton status

I have seen alot of guys over on Pirate that just take out the interlock rods.

If and when I ever do this mod,I think Im gonna do it that way.:D

19. BadDog

If your the only one that drives it, and you are careful, it might be ok. But my 17 yo son and 13 yo daughter drive mine, and I had hopes my wife would have interest (no luck), so there was no way I was taking that chance.

Word of warning, I have actually found myself cursing the sticky shifting only to find out what I thought was "rear low" had in fact already shifted to "rear neutral" and I was effectively trying to force it into rear high with the front in low. Easy to make mistakes when adrenalin is running high, teetering on a ledge, and trying to arrange a "pivot" to complete the obstacle without rolling. Without the pills, I could very easily have done serious damage...