Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

205 vs 241, anybody break a 241?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by jimmy88, Sep 9, 2002.

1. jimmy88

jimmy88 1/2 ton status

There are a few posts pushing the 205 case over everything else. No question the 205 is stronger, but when is it needed? How have guys busted the 241's? Too much engine torque? Doing neutral drops or side stepping the clutch? Smashing it on a rock? I like my 241 and have pulled tree stumps, plowed snow, dirt and gravel with it. It got 120k miles and still going strong. But its time for a cv shaft, so which is the best option keeping $$$ in mind:

A. slip yoke CV shaft
    B. SYE kit and CV shaft
    C. 205 with CV shaft

The 2.72:1 gears in the 241 are nice. Heard the 3:1 gears for the 205 will be around $700, (ouch)!! So whats so bad about the 241?

2. muddysub

muddysub 1 ton suburban status Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

i like my 241, i'd get a SYE for it and call it good.

3. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

As far as I'm concerned, there is nothing wrong with a 241. My 1990 'burb has one and it's been flawless from the beginning. I've plowed my driveway and neighbors' driveways in the harshest of Wisconsin winters, pulled out stumps, and driven some rough terrain. All of this without trouble from my t.c. I've done no rebuilding, no adjusting, and (I hate to admit it) I haven't changed out the fluid. So, don't anybody tell me (unless they have a heavy foot and 800 h.p.) that the NP241 is a bad case.

4. BigOrange90Jimmy

BigOrange90Jimmy 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I see nothing wrong with it other than the fact that it needs a SYE. I would keep it if I didn't get such a good deal on a 465/205 combo. But I don't know how well it will hold up to 40's. It needs a rebuild cuz I think the chain is slipping and causing that really annoying pop I hear every once in a while. I'd say get the SYE and CV, wheel the hell out of it, and call it a day. That and you'd need to send the tailhousing off the 205 to Donovan like I did so the speedo will work.

5. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

Get a JB Conversions SYE kit and a Tom Woods shaft. Not cheap but worth doing. Call Tom first and work out a deal on swapping the yoke from the JB kit for the flange for the CV. I got to talk with Tom this weekend at NEUROC and he put me on his cell phone with the owner of JB to talk about the conversion kit. BTW NEUROC was awsome!!!!!
    http://www.jbconversions.com/index.html
    http://www.4xshaft.com/

6. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

compare the costs
    the SYE kit is more then a 205
    if your tranny doesnt readily accept a 205 that may scew the equation

7. scrappyk5

scrappyk5 1/2 ton status

whats the thoughts on the 208 case ? if you dont mind
    me jumping in here and changing the type comparison.

8. Calclips

Calclips 1/2 ton status

Swartz Creek, Michigan/Flint while in school
    I know a guy who had a K5 with a 241 in it, and while he was muddin' it hit a stump or a root or something and the whole case cracked around the legnth of it. Totally wasted the case.

9. DPI

DPI 1/2 ton status

I have the 241 with the High Angle SYE and 1 ton CVs front and rear. I have had no problems what-so-ever with this setup. I did build a super T-Case guard out of 1/4" plate for extra rock protection. The only thing I don't like about the 241 so far, is that it hangs down and you can't really clock it up because of the oil pump pick up tube is at the lowest part of the case. I did not realize the 3:1 gears for the 205 were going to be so expensive. I was thinking about going that way and clocking the 205 up and out of the way. Now I will have to reconsider that option.

Here is a pic of my DP-Built t-case guard. [​IMG]

10. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

like the rest of your truck, that skid plate setup looks fantastic
    the price of replacement gars makes the doubler look like an even better deal

11. CCRider

CCRider 1/2 ton status

I've been running a 241 for about 6 years with 35-37" tires and a heavy foot, about 275-300hp and have yet to have a problem from wheeling! I did however hit the end of a guardrail @ 60+m.p.h. and cracked it around the front output ,but then again , it bent the frame in 2 spots!!! But I have a new 241 to put in it , Oh, I also run a JB conversions SYE and a tom woods shaft , but I think the Dennys shaft I had in it before the guardrail incident(dented shaft and shattered 1330C.V. ) was a little better constructed!! J.B. also has a Transfer case mounted E-brake for the 241 case. I'll be keeping my 241 till I can manage to break it (502 Big Block in the future plans) But dodge put a HD version of this case behind their Torque Monster Cummins engine from the factory!!! Good luck!!!!!.....................CC

12. jimmy88

jimmy88 1/2 ton status

Good looking skid plate. Thought about clocking it too, but decided to skid plate it instead. Thats next on the list after I finish the rear bumper!

13. 87sm465np208

87sm465np208 1/2 ton status

/forums/images/icons/cool.gif got my skid plate at the junk yard for 25$, i was in a rush because my dad had to goto work i got one, didnt fit quite right, and it wasnt quite what i wanted, but hell it protects the bottom of the t-case from hard objects that want to put a hole in the bottom of it /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

14. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

But did you add a support for the rear of the skid plate? The stock one just hangs from the front edge. If you come down on a rock or log really hard, it will just bend upwards and transfer the shock energy to the transfer case. /forums/images/icons/mad.gif

15. Leadfoot

Leadfoot 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I have seen a few break from abuse (rocks hitting, bottoming out driveshafts, etc), but not from too much torque. I'm sure if you put enough to it, it will, but I doubt most of us will have that much power (although we can dream). It is definitely not as strong as a 205, especially the aluminum vs. cast case, but it is much lighter. The internals probably aren't as strong either and the chain is a minor nusience compared to the all gear drive. I would say as long as it is mounted securely (good t-case mounts AND good motor mounts, all reinforcement bars in place, driveshafts have enough travel to prevent bottoming out, and a good skid plate(s) is designed to prevent rocks and debris from hitting the case are there, then the 241 should be good enough for just about anybody (not EVERYBODY) here. The other thing to look into is the 241HD. I have heard there is a difference between the 241 and 241HD, but I do not know if there is such a thing, and if there is what the difference is.

Bottom line, the 205 is stronger, but the 241 should be more than adequate for most. Just look what it's behind today (heavy vehicles that produce mucho torque and tow heavy loads).