Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

205 weirdness

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by dyeager535, Sep 23, 2005.

1. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Unfortunately I don't think there is going to be an answer that I like with this issue, but I figured I'd post up and get some thoughts/ideas on this.

Just started the truck up and let it get up to operating temp. For some reason I had the 205 in neutral while it was running, as opposed to 2hi. Was checking under the vehicle for leaks, when it looked like the rear output was moving. Front was spinning (typical, parasitic drag, no front shaft) but the rear is bolted up to the driveshaft. I crawled under, sure enough, the output yoke is moving up and down. Looked at the nut that holds it to the output shaft, thats moving as well, so it's not loose. Pulled on the driveshaft with my weight, and it still moved. Held the front output and the rear still "wobbled". I can see the seal actually deflect as it makes its movement.

Put it in 2hi, 4hi, or 4lo, and it doesn't move.

For history, this is a case that was attached to a 4L80E which had a broken input shaft/adapter, and had bent the 205 input. I replaced the 205 input, since you could see that it was bent.

With the wobbling in the rear output, I assume this means something else in the case I didn't replace is bent as well. Is it likely that it's the output shaft thats bent where the input fits? It's pretty rhythmic and slow in its wobbling. Can't see anything else that would affect the output shaft only.

2. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

sounds like the rear output bearing is shot. ive had similar issues with bearings being loose one time and tight another.

3. 79k20350

79k20350 3/4 ton status

does it vibrate when you drive? i doubght its bent if it doesnt. im not really sure though, never noticed that on my 205

4. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

No vibration in drive that I've noticed, but I've not been able to keep a sustained speed of about over 25MPH because of all the other things I'm doing to it. :)

I might as well keep my eyes open for another '90-91 205, as expensive as the bearings are, I might as well have a better case to start with. I had hoped the input would have been the only problem, but I sort of expected other problems judging by how badly the truck was beaten before I got my hands on the parts.