Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

208 Exploded View

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Drey, Jan 3, 2004.

1. Drey

Drey 3/4 ton status

Does anyone have an exploded view of the NP208 or maybe a pic of what it looks like when you pull the rear half off. Im gonna do it either tommorrow or monday, and would like to know if i can seperate the halves completely while its in the truck. Or if I can only seperate it a inch or two.

2. skratch

skratch 1/2 ton status

I Have one on my webshots page web page /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. Drey

Drey 3/4 ton status

Thanks Skratch, im a youngen and dont wanna screw up my truck real bad so do you think it would be safe to just back it off a bit to put a some new gasketmaker stuff in there? Or would it be possible to spilt it in the truck without all that stuff falling out?

4. skratch

skratch 1/2 ton status

Honestly I don't know I have one I've been meaning to take apart and rebuild, but just haven't yet.

My gut says no, pull it out and do it in a controlled environment. Some of the other guys on here may know better, and I think I saw a post on doing something similar not too long ago. Do a search in the garage for 208's and you may find it.

Good luck either way. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. 4GUNZ4X4Z

4GUNZ4X4Z 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Thanks Skratch, im a youngen and dont wanna screw up my truck real bad so do you think it would be safe to just back it off a bit to put a some new gasketmaker stuff in there? Or would it be possible to spilt it in the truck without all that stuff falling out?

[/ QUOTE ]

You will be fine leaving it on the truck. Just drain it before you take off the driveshaft(slipyoke). Then you can take the driveshaft and back cover off. Spray it down real well with brake cleaner and dry it before you put on the rtv. I'd let the rtv set a little while (30-60 minutes) before you put the case back togather. The only thing that is annoying about this whole process is the little magnet in the bottom of the case. Slap a little pea size drop on the bottom of the magnet and put it back into the case before you install the back cover, this will help keep the magnet in position. It shouldn't take you much more then an hour to complete this job and thats including time for smashed knuckles and a soda pop.Hope this helps. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. Drey

Drey 3/4 ton status

Thanks, Im gonna head up to Oreillys tmw get some RTV and some fresh ATF to put back in it, and ill start the work.

7. 4GUNZ4X4Z

4GUNZ4X4Z 1/2 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Don't forget to clean all that fuzz of the magnet.