Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

208 explosion

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by crazyrc, Jan 30, 2003.

1. crazyrc

crazyrc 1/2 ton status

Hey guys this might be in the wrong forum, but I was wondering how many of you are running 208's and what kind of luck you have. I know they're not nearly as strong as the gear driven 205, but if it is in good shape can I expect decent life out of it or will it grenade. The reason I ask is because right now thats all I have...behind a built 700R4. I swapped out my 330HP 355ci for a built 406SB that's making 460 HP and 540 torque. I'm running 40's with a locked rear diff and 4.56's.

2. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

It's a toss up as to which is gonna die first, the 208 or the 700R4. Even beefed to the max, a 700R4 can only deal with around 450 lb/ft of torque. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif My guess is that the tranny will die first. The transfer case can take a pretty decent amount of abuse.

3. BigBluOx

BigBluOx 1/2 ton status

The only time in my limited experience that I've seen a 208 explode (literally) was because my rear driveline broke in half at 30MPH under acceleration (the lesson here is do not drive on a bent driveline /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif ). Grenaded the 208 and cracked the bellhousing on my 700R4. HarryH3 is likely right about the 700R4 going first, but if ya maintain it well and do your best to keep the heat out of it, it should last at least long enough to find a decent TH400.

Jon /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif

4. crazyrc

crazyrc 1/2 ton status

I was actually able to track down a T400 and 205 from a wrecker I deal with...I also talked to a professional tranny builder(builds stuff for drag racing etc.) and he convinced me to keep my 700R4. The advantages are obvious lower 1st gear and 25% overdrive. With aftermarket clutches, heavey duty converter and a bunch of other stuff (which I already have) he said it should do just fine. Only time will tell. I'll still probably have to change my output haft and ditch the 208 in favour of a 205 pretty soon.

5. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Beefier clutches and all the other stuff don't change the fact that the rest of the internals won't like the torque that your 460 is gonna subject 'em too. 540 lb/ft is way beyond pushing your luck with a 700R4. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif If you don't beat on it too much, it will live for a while, but in the mean time be saving your beer money for a tranny swap. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif Trapping a 700R4 between 6,000 lbs of truck and 540 lb/ft of torque is a disaster in the making. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif