Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

208 fixed yoke

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Chaz88K5, Aug 15, 2001.

1. Chaz88K5

Chaz88K5 1/2 ton status

Welp i am pullin my transfer case tonight and takin it in to have it converted to a fixed yoke 208...i found a shop localy that had all the parts to do it...its goin to run me about 400 for all the parts a labor...i dont think that is too bad but i still have to get a drive shaft after its all said and done...but even doin this is cheeper that killin a C/V drive shaft every few months...i just killed the 3rd one this year and at 250 a pop i think i would be better off goin this route... i wanted to get the kit from high angle but i dont think i can wait anylonger...i need this thing fixed like yesterday...i want my truck ready for labor day!..[​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG]<font color=blue>Donations accepted for the "Build Chaz's 1972 K5 fund"!!!</font color=blue> [​IMG]

2. FRIZZLEFRY

FRIZZLEFRY 1/2 ton status

Im gonna do the fixed yoke thing some day.I dont have the money right now to do it.

DONT SWEAT THE PETTY STUFF,JUST PET THE SWEATY STUFF<a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/beaterwhang>community.webshots.com/user/beaterwhang</a>

3. 86K5TrailBlazer

86K5TrailBlazer 1/2 ton status

what is "all the parts", I just got my cv shaft a couple of weeks ago. How are they busting on you? I havent taken mine off road as I am breaking in my new rear end. I have hear mixed feeling about this shaft off road.

Thanks

4. CaptCrunch

CaptCrunch 1/2 ton status

Chaz can yo do some snooping and find out exactly what they have cook'n there. Is it parts from a Dodge 208 or what? I'm pretty interested in this swap as well

-Mikey
    1987 Chevy K5 Blazer- 350 TBI
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/milnerlives_2000/blazer.htm>http://www.geocities.com/milnerlives_2000/blazer.htm</a>

5. Chaz88K5

Chaz88K5 1/2 ton status

well this is goin to be the first one they have done....i kinda talked him into it and so far the parts he had in stock was a dodge 208 out put shaft , and goin to have to redrill a tail shaft to make it line up with the bolt pattern on the case..after i am all done ill try to get part numbers...
    As for the C/V joint..i hate the thing...it got rid of the vibration but you can get grease in the center "ball" part of it so thos always take a [censored] on me....i am tired of payin 250 a pop every few months thats why i am doin this....i dont understand why i cant just run a normal 2 joint shaft...my angles are not bad at all..both are equal but i still get binding up....i bet in this last year i have spent at least 600 in just trying to get my drive shaft workin right..

[​IMG]<font color=blue>Donations accepted for the "Build Chaz's 1972 K5 fund"!!!</font color=blue> [​IMG]

6. DesertDueler

DesertDueler 1/2 ton status

Please let me know how that turns out. I am deciding between a doubler or converting my 208 to fixed yoke

86 Blazer 4"lift 35" MTRs locked front, still 1/2 ton axles.Other vehicles 69 Firebird with 525 hp,and a 70 GTO www.geocities.com/modifierperformance

7. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

If you're serious about fixing the problem, just swap out the 208 completely. It has good low range but that's the only good thing about it. I don't know what you do with your truck, but I'm getting rid of my 208 in favor of a 465/205 combo.

Tim
    '84 Chevy K10, lifted, loud, fast, and 3/4 ton axles

8. Chaz88K5

Chaz88K5 1/2 ton status

i have a 465 and 205 combo sittin but i wanted to use that for my 72....when my 72 is done my 88 is goin to be my tow rig...so i would like it strong enough to mild weeling but i dont need it really beefy....so i dont see wasteing my time and money changing it over to that if i am not goin to wheel it very much or very hard...i think this is the most cost efective way of doin it...in my head at least

9. Storm Trooper

Storm Trooper 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Dillon Colorado, Hang'in in the mountains. Renting
    Chaz, let us know. I'd like to convert if it's strong enough.

[​IMG]<font color=red>[/b]"Rid'in HigH in my K5"[​IMG]
    ....[​IMG]<font color=blue>[/b]"8" Lift -<font color=purple>38.5's"[​IMG]....