Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

208 fluid?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by fatboy, Mar 5, 2004.

1. fatboy

fatboy 1/2 ton status

I get different answers everywhere thought I would try hear. should it be 90 weight or ATF??? the chevy dealer even gave me both choices...... /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif

2. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

ATF same as GM auto trans, just drain what there through bottom hole , and fill through top hole until fluid oozes out /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

3. sandracer799

sandracer799 1/2 ton status

Thats what i use in mine. ATF /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

Don't ever go back to the dealer who said you could use gear oil! /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif Whata dumbass! The 208 uses ATF... /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

5. fatboy

fatboy 1/2 ton status

hey thanks guys ATF it is /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif

6. CHEVY 4WD

CHEVY 4WD 1/2 ton status

also the dealer is a good place to buy parts for your truck but I would not buy atf or any other fluid from the dealer only because of the COST... atleast thats how it is at my dealer /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

7. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

What parts are you buying at the dealer? /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif Everything, I've tried to get there is wayyyy too expensive. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

8. SUBFAN

SUBFAN 1/2 ton status

Shop the dealers....Some are great for things, some are way overpriced....

Some of them give you good advice, and free diagrams, while others are just plain dicks that don't believe ANYONE should work on their own vehicle....

9. Muley

Muley 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    ATF same as GM auto trans, just drain what there through bottom hole , and fill through top hole until fluid oozes out

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry Pauly, but I have to call bull crap here. The 208 take 4 quarts of ATF. Service manual as well as owners manual reflect this.

10. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Well, I don't have an owners manual. I only have the cheap Autozone book. I just used a reccomendation from another ck5er. Sorry /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

11. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

I call bull crap on your bullcrap lol. It may say it holds 4 quarts, but that may be what goes to top plug. Easy ref is just pull out top plug, fill it, close it up. Same as diff fluid, gm manual may say 2 quarts or whatever, but 2 quarts gets you to the fill plug.

12. CHEVY 4WD

CHEVY 4WD 1/2 ton status

well... I mean its great if you can afford it,(I cant) From my dealer I bought the chrome door strap covers... I think ther was 1 other thing /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif I try to keep the body GM and not use japan parts not that I use them on the rest of the truck I just usually use aftermarket on everthing else /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

BTW GM parts from ChevyDuty are ALOT cheaper then my dealer also...

13. Muley

Muley 1/2 ton status

Not trying to be a dick, but maybe I came off that way. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

I have just been told by many GM mechanics to not over fill anything. It wears out the seals prematurely. Which makes sense, since you wouldn't add 6 quarts of oil to you 5 quart engine. I have never checked to see where 4 quarts leaves you. Maybe it does leave you right below the fill hole.

I know on axles I have always been told that you want to be about 1" below the fill hole. Which usually equates to your one pinky finger digit.