Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

208 front output nut torque specs

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by big83chevy4x4, Jun 1, 2004.

1. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

i need the torque specs for nut on the front output flange on the 208, i replaced the seal a few months ago and it has come loose twice now /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

2. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Not sure on the 208 but the 205 is 250-300 or so ft lbs. That nut doesn't preload a bearing, it only holds the yoke on.

Since it's likely a prevailing torque style nut you might need a new nut.

3. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

well im not buying a new nut, im having another 208 being rebuilt (free /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif) and just need it to stay on till then.

what is a prevailing torque style nut? /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

i know it was a motha to get it off, but i though i got it tight enough the first time. the second time i just tightened it up so it wasn't loose and it stayed like that for 2 weeks. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

4. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

A prevailing style lock nut is commonly used in high temperature and critical applications like a pinion nut, or as you found, a front output nut.

It can't be repeatedly reused (that's why it was a bitch to get off). It is designed to be installed and stay where you put it so it doesn't come loose.