Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

208 Help PLEASE!!!!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by bigred85, Jun 23, 2005.

1. bigred85

bigred85 Registered Member

I know that I am a moron, but I need some help.

My truck has been making pretty nasty noises lately, and I have noticed a small puddle of fluid leaking from rear output shaft on my 208. I figured that I would check the fluid. The stuff was red, so I assumed it was transmission fluid and checked the tranny dipstick, which indicated fine. I figured that it must be a seperate plumbing system, so I called up my local mechanic, and he said that there were 2 large plugs on the back of the case, one down low to drain it and one up high to fill it. He said if I take the top plug out and fluid comes out I am OK, and if I pull the plug and nothing comes out to add fluid through the plug hole until it starts spilling out.

I climbed under the truck, located the plugs, loosened it, and nothing came out. Considering the size of the puddle, this did not surprise me. I puled the plug completely, and fluid proceeded to pour out. Of course, I was startled and dropped the plug into my drip pan, and 2 quarts had drained out by the time I fished the plug out and replaced it.

My question to You, The Grand Purveyors of Automotive Knowledge, is...

How the #%@& do I get 2 quarts of fluid back into my transfer case?!?!?!?!

2. 85mudblazin

85mudblazin 1/2 ton status

The seal where the T-case goes over the putput shaft of the tranny is bad. That is allowing fluid from the tranny to go into the the t-case making it full all of the time and not just up to the fill hole like it should.

3. bigred85

bigred85 Registered Member

Great. I will try that.

4. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

There are 2 plugs on the back of the 208. The fill plug and the drain plug. I assume that you pulled the top (fill) plug. If you did the top plug and 2 quarts of fluid spilled out then you don't need to add to quarts of fluid to the tcase. You need to add it to the transmission.

If you pulled the bottom plug then you need to add fluid threw the top plug till fluid starts to spill out.

If the fluid drained out the the top plug then like mentioned above the seal between your tcase and transmission is shot and you need to replace it.

Harley