Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

208 info

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by txguy, Dec 5, 2001.

1. txguy

txguy 1/2 ton status

Morning all. I have a leaking front seal on my 208. I have searched and found info on rear seal. It sounds easy to replace. What about the front one? Whats the scoop on replacing it?

2. txguy

txguy 1/2 ton status

Anyone

3. BowtieBlazer

BowtieBlazer 1/2 ton status

The front seal? I can't remember if thats the one for the front driveshaft or the one that matts up with the tranny....I just did a rebuild on mine...either one I imagine dropping the t-case will help lots....
    Drain the fluid
    Remove drive shafts
    unbolt all 6? bolts from the tranny
    a screw driver may allow you to get away with just prying it out, otherwise you will have to dig into the t-case
    In that case buy a good torque wrench and keep track of the order things come out of that case lots of things in there you dont wanna mix up...if it were me and I had to go in that far i'd do a rebuild
    Otherwise if its the front driveshaft --main seal-- make sure you torque that bolt back down to 120ft-lbs? Trust me its ALOT! Otherwise it will leak from there as well...
    A good manual such as Chilton's or the like may help in this process...
    Good luck!

Granny LOW and let her GO!!
    1985 GMC C-10 Shortbed
    1984 Chevy K-5 Blazer

4. Blazer_Boy

Blazer_Boy 1/2 ton status

You talking about the front driveshaft seal? Psh, piece of cake. Unbolt the front drive shaft. Then undo that big nut for the front yoke. Drain your fluid too. Then get a seal puller or screwdriver (or somethin) and yank that seal out. Mine didn't have a lip, so it was a pain, but its just a regular press in seal. Then clean everything up. Take your new seal and put a bead of silicone on the edges. Line it up and tap it on in with a really big socket or seal installer. Then you're done, if you were talking about the front seal for the yoke. (i think you retorque that big yoke nut at 120 or 160, 120 i think though.)

<a target="_blank" href=http://new.wavlist.com/movies/031/ag-blow.wav>"I ain't nobody, dork."</a>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/bigkern76>http://www.geocities.com/bigkern76</a>

5. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

If the front seal is like the rear seal (were the Dshaft goes into case) then its easy. I did my rear seal over Thanksgiving. Pulled the driveshaft, and got a small screw driver and pryed out the lip. I tried to pry it out with a screw driver, but that didn't work. I didn't have a seal puller either. I just got pissed off, got out the BFS and BFH and that worked great (Big F screwdriver &amp; Big F Hammer). I put the BFS in under the lip I had pryed up, and hit the BFS with the BFH and it popped right out after a couple good shots with the BFH. It may take you a few more shots, I was one pissed off very large person. (6'4" 280 lb College Offensive lineman.)

My Chevy isn't broken, its just out of gas.

6. txguy

txguy 1/2 ton status

Thanks guys... I was hoping it was like the rear seal.

7. txguy

txguy 1/2 ton status

Anyone happen to know what size that big yoke nut is? I am going to tear into it later this evening.