Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

208 Leak

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by clean84K5, Oct 9, 2005.

1. clean84K5

clean84K5 Registered Member

I've got an 84 k5 with a 208 and a six inch lift and the transfer case has been leaking its fluid out of the tail shaft where the driveshaft enters ever since i lowered the transfer case 1 inch. I have replaced the seal in the tail of the t-case about 3 times now hopnig to fix the problem but no luck. Could the transmission fluid in the case be coming out just because it is tilted back too much? Anyone with a similar problem?

2. 88sub4x4

88sub4x4 1/2 ton status

Are you sure the fluid is coming out around the seal? Check the driveshaft yoke and make sure it is touching the seal all around. Also look at the freeze-out plug looking thing in the end of the yoke. They will leak and look like a tailshaft seal leak. Also, make sure the T-case is not overfilled.

3. randy88k5

randy88k5 1/2 ton status

There is a bushing in the end of the shaft, which usually gets damaged pretty easially. It allows too much fluid by, then it gets thrown out the seal. Not sure of the part # off hand. I bought two a while back, and keep one as a spare. Was about $7 I think...

4. randy88k5

randy88k5 1/2 ton status

Found the part # for future reference...
    NP208 tailshaft housing bushing - # 03978765
    Paid a little over $5 a piece