Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

208 Leak

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Brodie, Oct 13, 2006.

1. Brodie

Brodie 1/2 ton status

My Transfer Case has developed a pretty bad leak coming out of the rear output shaft. Is the seal in there something I can change without a special puller. I don't want to ruin my case trying to change it. Thanks

2. Drey

Drey 3/4 ton status

I pryed mine out with a screwdriver I think, just make sure when you put the new one in you get it in there square and tap all the sides lightly as you get it in so it seats properly

3. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

If the leak isn't to bad you will probably just have to deal with it. I have tried changing the output seal and it still leaks. I have rebuilt and run several cases and they all leak no matter what parts I change or what case I have run. I am not 100% sure why but now I just deal with it and fill it up every now and again.

Harley

4. ryan22re

ryan22re 1/2 ton status

Bushing worn out. Causing slip yoke to move around and leak. Can take pics in morning if anyone wants to see the bushing in question.

5. Avery4jc

Avery4jc 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

My 208 leaks in the same spot and I just deal with it. Do you have a lift? If so did you take care of the rear driveshaft length? On mine it is a little too short for the lift I have (w/ my stock axles) and so it pulls the tailshaft out of the transfer case which causes it to leak...measure how much is sticking out before it connects to the driveshaft and let us know...

-Avery

6. ryan22re

ryan22re 1/2 ton status

Um, if the slip yoke is the same diameter the whole way down, what would a lift have to do with it? As long as there is enough in the seal and the bushing, how could that be possible?

7. Avery4jc

My theory (just from brain storming) is that since it is pulled out more it has a lot more leverage than it should so if you have some power or gears (or the combination, who knows maybe it doesn't take much) when the d-shaft spins it transfers that torque through the drivetrain.
    The tailshaft normally would handle this but with the extra leverage it has gained from being pulled out it can start to mess up the seal...squish.

Ok, maybe thats not it but thats what I think happened to mine over time. They just aren't designed to run that far out...the seal was never intended to take that.

-Avery

8. ryan22re

ryan22re 1/2 ton status

So what you are saying really is that if perhaps there were a bushing in the slip yoke housing and if there were "leverage" applied to it, then it could wear and cause the slip yoke to not run true and then in turn wear out the seal.

Hmmm....:thinking:

That sounds familiar....

9. Avery4jc

yeah, it just made sense when you said it.

-Avery

10. Brodie

Brodie 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the responses. Yes I do have a lift (6 in). However, there was a leak before I lifted it.

11. Avery4jc

Yeah that wouldn't be uncommon, did you have the driveshaft lengthened?

-Avery

12. Brodie

Brodie 1/2 ton status

13. Col_Sanders

Col_Sanders 3/4 ton status

Mine leaks too. It has leaked for years and I have only had the lift for a year. It is getting a lot worse now. Probably because I put it through more now than I did in the past. You can buy a rebuild kit on ebay or at your local parts store. I am debating on trying that or just buying one that has been rebuilt. just dont have the time to do it myself.