Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

208 rebuild/ diagnosis (need help)

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Hossbaby50, Aug 24, 2003.

1. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

I just had my 700R4 rebuild and the trans shop said I need to get the 208 rebuilt ASAP. I bought a new case that is supposed to be rebuilt, but I am having problems with it so I am going to rebuild my old case.

My old case (case #1) had 150K on it. I popped it open today and found some long strands of metal and alot of tiny shaving in the bottom. What can this be? The trans shop said it is probably the front input bearing. All the bearings I can see (rear output, front output) look very good along with everything else. Just a long bearing shaped strand and little shavings. Any ideas on problem?

New Case (case #2) only gets low range. no matter where I shift I am getting low range, or I get no range at all. What could cause this? I am thinking shift collar. I even manually shift the linkage and get low range only. WHen I get on the gas in a 2wd or 4Hi setting it will pop out or gear and the only way to get a gear back is to shift to lowrange. Any help?

Also does anyone have a diagram on how the 208 breaks down or disassembly process for the 208? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Last thing where do I get bearings and part for an NP208? are there any online sources or any sources in Phoenix. Thank

Harley

2. Rolled

Rolled 1/2 ton status

Should have bought that 241 /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

I had to buy a rear output bearing for a 208. Napa sells them along with other tcase parts that Manny Moe and Jack don't sell. Be warned, my bearing cost $20 /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

I have a crappy Haynes manual that shows a blown up parts diagram. I could scan it if you don't find one online.

3. Confedneck

Confedneck 3/4 ton status

as for popping out of 4wd or only getting low range, try adjusting the linkage (piece of allthread with 2 nuts on it) and that might help...i adjusted mine because it popped out of 4hi on light throttle or any throttle, now it only pops out when the truck catches air.

4. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

I have tried moving the linkage around with it disconnected from the shifter. Even when I move the linkage on the Tcase to a detent area it still doesn't work right.

5. outlaw612

outlaw612 1/2 ton status

I just finished the rebuild on my 208 this morning. I took lots of pics to do a write up on the rebuild and SYE conversion that I also did. I can e-mail you the diagrams that I have. They are good exploded views of the 208. Also, my Haynes manual was a huge help. It does a good job of walking you through the rebuild.

If you PM me the e-mail address of were to send the diagrams, Ill send them to you ASAP.

6. chillywilly

chillywilly Registered Member

My 208 was acting the same way kicking out of gear.Pads were worn on the range fork.Pulled it apart slapped new fork in been going 5 years. If I remember right fork was fairly cheap too.

7. fortcollinsram

fortcollinsram 1/2 ton status

Harley,

Check out both the range and mode fork...On the 208 that I yanked from behind my first 700, it was popping into neutral from 2hi...I tore it aprt and the mode fork was TOAST..the nylon pads were in pieces in the bottom of the case...

Chris