Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

208 rebuild

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by TXBIGFISH, Oct 28, 2001.

1. TXBIGFISH

TXBIGFISH 1/2 ton status

Help...............I am no longer the preverbial "virgin" to the K5 world. My transfer case was in need of a rebuild, and from the posts and manual it seemed pretty straight forward. All was well until it came time to replace the bearings....the bearing on the rear shaft on the front side of the case, it is the blind bearing that you need to pull out with a slide hammer according to the book. Tried it for 2 hours and no dice last night, I gotta get it back together and in tonight, otherwise it is the "Nike Express" to work tomorrow. I figure you guy's could help, with your vast knowledge! I am about ready to take it out in pieces, any suggestions would be a great help.
    Also there is a comany called Trans Star Industiries here in TX and they sell the rebuild kit with all bearings and seals for $93, and a th350 shift kit for $14, if you want a rock hard shift kit its $35. They ship everywhere, if anyones interested let me know and I'll pass along the numbers.

<*)))><

81" GMC Jimmy.............stock for now!

IT'S A DOG EAT DOG WORLD OUT THERE, AND I'M WEARING "MILK BONE" UNDERWEAR!!!!!!!!

2. jimmyjack

jimmyjack 1/2 ton status

I rebuilt my 208 a few years ago and I don't remember ANYTHING about a blind bearing and a thrust hammer! Is it on the front output shaft? I remember replacing a few thrust washers. Maybe some heat applied a torch might facilitate things. I wouldn't make the metal red but I'd certainly heat it up good. Maybe that'll help you get it out! Good luck.

That jeep thing? Yah I understand it....... Like my Blazer? <a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/blazerk5>http://community.webshots.com/user/blazerk5</a>
    Jim

3. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

Sorry I can't help you with the bearings, but I would like those numbers. If you could post them it would be great. Thanks

Harley

My Chevy isn't broken, its just out of gas.

4. TXBIGFISH

TXBIGFISH 1/2 ton status

There is a bearing in the back case half that supports the back of the front shaft. You can not use a drift pin or brass punch, since one side is open and the other side is closed by the case .

The Information requested is.....

Transtar Industries, Inc.
    972-660-5612
    Ask for Mike Corbin and let him know that I sent you. He will take care of you, definately top notch guy and service!
    By the wy the price before tax and shipping was $87.98.

&lt;*)))&gt;&lt;

IT'S A DOG EAT DOG WORLD OUT THERE, AND I'M WEARING "MILK BONE" UNDERWEAR!!!!!!!!

5. jimmyjack

jimmyjack 1/2 ton status

Gotcha, I once used grease and a big drift to get a pilot bearing out of a bind once. Try to pack grease all over the bearing especially in the center, then find something to fit inside and smack it hard. The grease will try to find a way and is supposed to push the bearing out. Worked like a charm, of course a pilot bearing is solid. Is the bearing sealed? or like a wheel bearing?

That jeep thing? Yah I understand it....... Like my Blazer? <a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/blazerk5>http://community.webshots.com/user/blazerk5</a>
    Jim

6. TXBIGFISH

TXBIGFISH 1/2 ton status

It's a roller bearing that the shaft sits in. The shaft end that is, on one side of the bearing it is open for the shaft to sit in, in the other is the case housing and it is blocked off. The Manual says to use a slide hammer with an inside adapter, and as of yet still no dice, that is why I am appealing to others more experienced than myself. Wel back out side I go, I will check back in a little while,
    Thanks

&lt;*)))&gt;&lt;