Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

208 removal question

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 85burbanator, Oct 10, 2004.

1. 85burbanator

85burbanator 1/2 ton status

im trying to take my np208 t-case out of my 85 suburban. every thing is going fine except one bolt. its for a brace of somesort going up by the motor. its on the passenger side. can i just cut it and reweld or does it have crazy amounts of force on it? im just looking for ideas to get this dang t case out.

2. 4GUNZ4X4Z

4GUNZ4X4Z 1/2 ton status

It's pretty much whatever you wanna do. I took mine off and left it off. Are you have'n a hard time loosening the bolts?

3. 85burbanator

oh yea. we go one off but it was tough. were cant even get the other one to budge. weve trying every thing. i think well cut it and just leave it off. what is its perpuse?

4. outlaw612

outlaw612 1/2 ton status

Its to help support the weight of the case hanging off the back of the trans. I wouldnt cut it. Just get a long ratchet on the bolt.

5. hawkeye649

hawkeye649 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Its to help support the weight of the case hanging off the back of the trans. I wouldnt cut it. Just get a long ratchet on the bolt.

[/ QUOTE ]

I had a spare strap at the time, so I just hacked the strap and brought my T-case to a local garage. They *used* to do all the work I couldn't, so the blasted them off for free. I know how much of a pain they can be, I've had a 1/2" drive on those before and put my sholder against the tire and picked my body up off the ground pushing on those before. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

6. 85burbanator

hey guys thanks for the helpful replies. i cut it between the 2 bolts since the bolts would hepl take stress off the weld. any way as soon as i cut threw it the dang thing fell. the brace wasnt even attached to anything at the other end. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif im going to look and see if i can find were it goes and try to bolt it back on.

7. outlaw612

outlaw612 1/2 ton status

If I remember correctly, it bolts the one of the bellhousing bolts.

8. staceydude

staceydude Registered Member

I just dropped my tranny out the other day. It goes to one of the bellhousing bolts above the starter.

If it just fell off you may want to check and ensure your tranny bellhousing is tight.

It was not to difficult to get to.

If you really wany to support it I would leave it off and tie another support somewhere else.

Regards,

Stacey