Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

208 seal

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by mccomas, Apr 6, 2004.

1. mccomas

mccomas 1/2 ton status

while i have my 208 out for the tranny install, I would like to re-seal the center section (2nd seam from the bottom of the photo). can i pull this apart without any crap falling out? it is not seeping very bad and i only want to pull it apart if it is a simple task that does not require me to do anything on the inside... thanks...

[​IMG]

2. offroad87

offroad87 Registered Member

its not that tough to do, pull the speedo gear out, pull the tailhousing off, on each end of the case their will be a little groove, that is where you want to gently pry the case apart. be careful though because the other shaft has a little flat bushing and a little flat bearing that it rides on. dont lose em or ruin em. after you run your silicone just reassemble the way you took it apart but make sure that other shaft goes back inside its bearing. i just rebuilt my 208 the other day. you can do it. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. offroad87

offroad87 Registered Member

oh and their will be this black plastic flat piece in the tailhousing. make sure its back in the its grooves before you put the tailhousing back on

4. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

If you want to fully seperate the case, then be aware of the 120 roller bearings that will fall out all over the place. However, as long as you keep the chain sprockets in place, this won't happen. You just won't have quite as much room to work.

Get those sealing surfaces perfectly clean and dry before setting the new bead.