Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

208 seals or 700 leak

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by eng17, Jun 19, 2001.

1. eng17

eng17 Registered Member

I have an 87 K-5 with a 350TBI, 700 and a NP208. I replaced the transmission last month and for 1000 miles it has been great.

On Monday I was driving down the road and I noticed the back window was covered with fluid. I got home and found the transmission low and the 208 overflowing. And the vent had been blowing out fluid.

Is it the input seal on the 208 or the tranny? Can the input seal be replaced without tearing down the transfer case?

I miss my K-5 please help! Thanks Rusty

2. bablazer73

bablazer73 1/2 ton status

The seal is in the input side of the t-case. I have seen them get damaged while trying to wrestle the case back on. This seal is most likely lettint the trans fluid into the case. You will need to pull the t-case back down to repair.

your right. I don't understand the jeep thing!

3. eng17

eng17 Registered Member

Thanks for the info. I just did not want to tear the transfer case apart since it is working great, well except for the seal. I guess I will drop it out tomorrow and put a new seal in it. My Dodge truck is OK but it ain't my K-5

Regards
    Rusty

4. eng17

eng17 Registered Member

Hello all that read this. I dropped the 208 and when I looked at the input shaft seal I could see a crack in the seal. The seal had gotten dry and split. This was the outer portion of the seal that keeps the trans from pushing fluid into the transfer case.

The new replacement seal was in two parts. Both seals were the same the only difference was the way they were placed in housing. The bottom seal went in with the spring portion down to seal the TC from leaking. The outer seal went in with the spring facing out to seal the 700 from force feeding the TC fluid.

Maybe this will help someone else.

Regards
    Rusty