Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

208 slip yolk eliminator?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by durantk5, Apr 23, 2007.

1. durantk5

durantk5 Registered Member

Does anyone know if someone makes slip yolk eliminators for a NP208? I am currently putting one tons under my K5 and would like to get a longer driveshaft in the rear to help with the angle. thanks, Nick

2. 1-tonmudder

1-tonmudder 1/2 ton status

Yeah,use the back case half and shaft from a Dodge 208.I know a guy who probably has it.

3. Taylor

Taylor 1/2 ton status

I was looking into the same thing a while ago, Tom Woods is the only company I heard that makes one for the 208, but its a pricy way to go. I ended up finding a good deal on a 400/205 combo and went that route.

4. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

Yes. I just found this! Tom Woods is offering a real SYE kit for the 208. They rework stock output shafts and cut down the stock tailshaft housing (meaning exchange + core charge). I am curious about the length of this setup. It is $570, but that includes a C/V driveshaft.

http://www.4xshaft.com/SYE/208TransferCaseGMDesign-32Spline.html

[​IMG]

5. Streetgliderx

Streetgliderx 1/2 ton status

i heard you can drill and tap the tail shaft and drill the fatory slipyoke and put a bolt through it

6. Blue85

Yes, you can. Arizona Drivelines sells a kit to do just that (although nobody here seems to like them). It gets rid of the slip yoke, but doesn't give you the extra 5-6" of driveshaft length that a kit like the one above would give you. That's a big deal in a short wheelbase rig.

7. muddybuddy

muddybuddy 3/4 ton status

rear 1/2 of dodge 208 will bolt on with a couple minor mods to it

8. obijuan

obijuan 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

hmm thats cool. a rebuild kit plus chain is like 250 then a new driveshaft locally here is 500+ (it seems im getting ripped off compared to others on here) then my dodge case im buying for 100 bucks. it seems i would be spending the same. either way. id rather go tom woods though. not sure if i want to rebuild my 208 though now that ive gotten a little further into gathering parts for this.

9. xanthias

xanthias 1/2 ton status

They discuss it at the bottom of this page:

http://www.arizonadrivelines.com/SYE_Kits_$375.htm

No pics though.

10. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

i went the dodge back half route, it was a piece of cake.

11. Blue85

I don't know that the Dodge case route is a "piece of cake" (It does require some TIG welding of the back portion of the case) - the TW kit would definately be easier. It can be done cheap (I also got a junk Dodge 208 for <$100), but you still need a yoke and a driveshaft. I still did the whole thing for under $200, but there was a lot of time searching for parts. See my thread here: http://coloradok5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=100934&highlight=208

The big question is what the Tom Woods setup sells for as SYE ONLY (no yoke or driveshaft included).

With either method, you have to tear whole unit down to replace that output shaft. A rebuild kit is kind of optional. If your T-case is working well now, you may not have to replace anything. It's just the most convenient time to do it.

12. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

theres 3 different dodge cases i believe. I ended up using the chevy half but the dodge tail portion reclocked and tapped to get the oil passage all lined up.