Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

208 t-case ?? no engage in 2 wheel dr

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by bablazer73, Aug 18, 2002.

1. bablazer73

bablazer73 1/2 ton status

I am looking at an 85 blazer with a 208 t-case. the owner says the t-case is bad. it "slips" out of gear when driving. if he puts in 4 wheel dr. it doesn't happen. only 2 wheel. I haven't had one of these open in a long time and can't remember what the guts look like. does anybody have a breakdown pic or an idea what wrong? I want to figure out cost of repair/ replacement before purchase.

2. RedDwarf

RedDwarf 1/2 ton status

probably just need to adjust the linkage (it's adjustable) but don't tell him that

3. bablazer73

I can see that!! I forgot that my 84 did that when the body started to sag!!

4. BowtieBlazer

BowtieBlazer 1/2 ton status

Henry:
    Been awhile man! Let me shed some insight on this subject. As often as people like to believe its linkage its usually not. I think NP208's are fairly prone to failure as they age over say...100,000 miles. Not always the case but more often than not as I have seen and reconfirmed by the problems with them on this board. My t-case had the same symptoms when I bought my truck here is what I found.

The range selector fork was worn to a slither of metal rather than a nice fork with a fat bushing on the end. I went ahead and replaced all the seals with a rebuild kit from a local autoparts store. Ran me around $120 (No leaks to this day. Rebuilt over a year ago)....seen them as cheap as $88 from someone on this site in TX but I forget who. The range selector fork was $52 a dealer only iten. They can print you a complete breakdown view of the t-case...VERY helpful when reassembling.

I am no pro at this but I believe you could have a good as new t-case for around $150. I'd rebuild mine again in a heartbeat. Easy to rebuild and fairly simple innerds. Expect to spend about a day or two on it depending on the avalibility of the part you find chewed when you part the halves of the t-case. Good Luck.

P.S. starting another blazer parking lot?

5. bablazer73

thats more along the lines of what i was thinkin. This truck is most likely just be used as a plow truck. As i am back in the great north east, and snow sucks, this will just be a work truck. I am looking for another for the wife. 89-91 loaded for her. yes, i miss having 10 blazers in the driveway!!

6. 87project

87project Registered Member

just got my 87 jimmy out of the shop today to get the forks replaced in the transfer case(had the exact same problem)