Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

208 tailshaft silicone

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by rcamacho, Aug 14, 2006.

1. rcamacho

rcamacho 1/2 ton status

I've got a pesky leak from the tailshaft housing. I've tried Orange RTV once and a non hardening sealant a second time to no avail. I've looked carefully and verified no cracks and that the leak is from the main housing to tail housing mating surface.

Any suggestions? Would it be kosher to use permatex hardening sealer or some other material?

2. broncoman6524

broncoman6524 1/2 ton status

i've got the same problem. my t-case im sure is low on oil now. you use atf in them right?

3. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

Try some of the "Right Stuff" silicone sealer. IME no other silicone is even close to as good.

4. hack500

hack500 1/2 ton status

try cleaning the surfaces with a wire brush and some brake clean then coat the bolts and both sides of the gasket(you do have a gasket, right?) with permatex hi-tack and don't overtorque the bolts. do that it should never leak again.

5. ssped

ssped 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I put the whole thing together with right stuff and she dont leak a drop. It works really well. GM has some really good stuff to but I am not sure what it is.

6. 85mudblazin

85mudblazin 1/2 ton status

I have had mine apart around 5 times before I figured out the trick. Use the Ultra-Black and make sure both surfaces are DRY, this is the biggest issue that happens. Once you put the housing on tranny fluid will leak onto the sealant and you will be doing it again. So make sure its DRY.:D

7. rick88blaze

rick88blaze 1/2 ton status

I've used black and orange RTV multiple times with success. Like 85mudblazin said: make sure both surfaces are DRY before applying the sealant.

Rick

8. rcamacho

rcamacho 1/2 ton status

Well, I tried again with Ultra Black RTV. I was only able to give it 12 hours of cure time before filling with ATF. So far so good.

FYI, never use Permatex HPF - the ATF fluid completely dissolved it.