Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

208 TC Help needed

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Bubba Ray Boudreaux, Jun 15, 2002.

1. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

I'm in the process of taking my case apart and cleaning and putting back together. I just got the rear tailshaft housing off. There's a blue thing on the shaft that is grooved that looks like where the speedo gear rides. There are several grooves that are destroyed/worn down that don't look right. Replace? What the heck is it? And can it cause a vibration to come and go? Thanks in advance.

2. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Furthermore, there's a black plastic thing with three tabs behind this blue thing that appears won't come off unless the blue thing comes off. Does all of this need to come off before I take off the back off of the case?

3. Sinful_Nature

Sinful_Nature Registered Member

I was looking at that when I had to replace my tail shaft housing. It does looks like the speedo gear. Does your Speedometer jump/skip? If it skips I'd replace it...

Sorry don't know much about them but figured I'd throw that question out.

~ Russ

4. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

It jumps a little bit but not enough to be irritating. I'm not going to mess around with it since that's not my primary focus. I'm trying to find a vibration and so far I haven't found it. Now I need to run to the store for fluid and stuff and take a look at the radiator.

5. K10ANDYKHAMNIC

K10ANDYKHAMNIC 1/2 ton status

Does all of this need to come off before I take off the back off of the case?

YES .

6. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Thanks. I've already put the housing back on since I can't hardly find anything that I need due to a recent move. Hoprefully just resealing the housing will fix the problem.

7. K10ANDYKHAMNIC

if i may suggest replacing the bearing in there and maybe the slipyoke , cuz it rides on the alum housing and it may be a lil undersize and if the bearing is worn ..... /forums/images/icons/smirk.gif

8. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

I've got it back together and took it down to the car wash to get some of the grime off. I'm wondering, do I need a special tool to take any of that stuff off of the shaft. That green grooved thing is on there pretty tight.

9. K10ANDYKHAMNIC

NOPE , no special tools , just a firm<tight> grip and yankk it off with your hands .

10. trailblazer87

trailblazer87 1/2 ton status

The only time you need any special tools is if you are replacing the bearings, a slide hammer and bearing press would come in handy then.