Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

208 tcase speedo gear removal question?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 78Blazer, Aug 5, 2002.

1. 78Blazer

78Blazer 1/2 ton status

I was trying to get the speedo gear out of my transfercase since it is set up for 4.56s and I only have 3.08s I wanted to change it out. Anyhow I pull the hold down thing off and tried to pull the rest of it out and it wont come out. Is it just suppose to pull out or am I suppose to turn it out or what? I already messed the threads all up on the dumb thing trying to get it out. Any help is greatly aprreciated.

2. jimmyjack

jimmyjack 1/2 ton status

Ummmmmmmmm, I think you need to pull the tail shaft off the case. I really don't remember. /forums/images/icons/blush.gif If that's the case, it isn't hard. Just remove the driveshaft, remove the 5 or 6 bolts and pull it off, clean it up, throw some RTV on it and seal it back up.

3. jimmy88

jimmy88 1/2 ton status

I don't know about 78 but in the 88 208's the driven gear and adaptor just pull out once the hold down is removed. Usually crud builds up and makes it hard to pull out. If I remember right I rapped the threads with a rag, carefully used some channel lock pliers to wiggle the adaptor back and forth while prying with screwdriver. Spraying it with liquid wrench or the like might help.

4. 78Blazer

78Blazer 1/2 ton status

Yeah I think it is supposed to pull out. Ill give it a try tommorow again.. Ill have to pull the other one off from my 86 also to get the right speedo gear so Ill just stick that one in there..

thanks

5. txbluethunder

txbluethunder 1/2 ton status

the "driven" gear comes out pretty easy...but...if you have to change out the "drive" gear then you do have to remove the rear of the t-case.